6 Nations Rugby Tournament

Started by JudgeDredd, February 06, 2015, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

SDR - are you in the UK or US? Who did you play for?
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

EDIT: God-damned iPhone auto-correct!

As the team's resident fat bastard with tree trunk calves, I'd much rather have gotten into a ruck than deal with another lineout.  Pushing was 90% of my job. You've still got to jog to get there and you have to hoist up some gangly freak from the 2nd row by his scrotum. 

As a lumbering knuckle-dragger with the acceleration of a banana slug, I was usually late to the play in most cases regardless so I'd either just push if the mob was still standing or step on all the squishy little backs if people were lying down.  Pushing's easy.  Running up and down the pitch sucks.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 07, 2015, 04:39:03 AM
SDR - are you in the UK or US? Who did you play for?

Neither.  I'm a filthy colonial.  In fact, the first team I played for after high school was the Trail Colonials RFC.  In university, the varsity team was the Victoria Vikings and their practice team was the Jutes.  I'd sometimes play with them.  In Japan, I played for Utsubuki RFC.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 07, 2015, 04:43:56 AM
As the team's resident fat bastard with tree trunk calves, I'd much rather have gotten into a ruck than deal with another lineout.  Pushing was 90% of my job. You've still got to jog to get there and you have to hoist up some gangly freak from the 2nd row by his scrotum. 

As a lumbering knuckle-dragged with the acceleration of a banana slug, I was usually late to the play in most cases regardless so I'd either just push if the mob was still standing or step on squishy little backs if people were lying down.  Pushing's easy.  Running up and down the pitch sucks.
lol

There will ALWAYS be the battle of the forwards and the backs...and that's in the same team! Forwards always want to batter their way up the field and backs always want to run at the opposition. The captains job must be a nightmare!
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

is rugby the game with the pseudo gay kinda football Australian game with tight shorts?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

No tight shorts - but there are lots of heads near arses and men jumping on each other
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Manly Rugby

Almost a year after the event, the adjudicators at Guinness World Records have announced that the Household Cavalry Regiment have been awarded the World Record for the highest tag rugby match in the world. The world record breaking match was played by 28 serving members of the Household Cavalry, Life Guards and Blues and Royals, at Everest Base Camp at 5,165m above sea level at the Gorak Shep Plateau, Nepal on 11 March 2014.

The soldiers, fresh from a six-month frontline operational tour in Afghanistan, were eager to push themselves further with an adventurous training exercise on their return. The trek to Everest base camp was not easy. At Tengboche (3,867m) the team was hit with severe altitude sickness and a contagious virus and their number was nearly halved to just 15. Those fit to continue made haste to the next stop, whilst those that were suffering from the virus remained behind with the Doctor. Two days later every last man was sufficiently recovered and able to be involved in the rugby match at base camp and play a full match.

Captain Mike Wilmot, Blues and Royals, was the expedition team leader and explained it was two years in the planning. "Everyone was at the peak of physical fitness having just come back from operational tour of Afghanistan but we were still taken aback by how tough it was," he said. "None of us envisaged how quickly you become out of breath when running at that altitude. The air is so thin it is agony to draw breath."

The rugby was played at Gorak Shep, a dry flat lake bed at 5,165m, on the edge of the last permanent hamlet before Everest Base Camp. The match got off to a slow start as the players got used to playing at such high altitude, before Lance Corporal Lovern Veramu of the Blues and Royals took an early interception and ran over half the length of the pitch to score the opening try. There was unanimous relief, shortly followed by celebration, when the final whistle blew and the game was complete.

Mike said: "It was a tremendous achievement to have played and finished a match at that altitude, but having now heard that that achievement has now been recognized by the Guinness World Records' Adjudicators as the world's highest match of tag rugby, we are all euphoric!"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Another loss for Scotland - but my 18 year old daughter had a great time at her first ever rugby game. Scotland 19 - 22 - Italy at Murrayfield in Edinburgh - Saturday, 28th Feb 2015

And yes - I have a beautiful wife!

Our seats were this close to the pitch

This one is of my wee brother Darren (far left), his wife Luisa, their son Romano
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

shes very pretty JD - shame she didnt bring you any luck

bayonetbrant

if you were in the US, you'd have a shotgun by the door, with a daughter that good-looking.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

lol - thanks. She is a beautiful lass and the icng on the cake is she's beautiful inside too.  O0
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

except when those insides are all over the house, and smelling of wine  :P

Silent Disapproval Robot

An Irishman tries to explain rugby to two American idiots masquerading as games journalists.

JudgeDredd

SDR - I haven't looked at that video yet - I will do tomorrow.

Just now...I'm settled for the afternoon. I'm in the back room. I've got my snacks, my telly and my beer and that's me until 19:00

Alba gu' brath