Trials and tribulations of owning a house

Started by Jarhead0331, February 06, 2021, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Finally got the parts (muffler/muffler bracket) for my lawn tractor and spent a couple hours this morning fixing it.  Ended up having to take off the sides and hood, just to get to where I could work.  Just finished mowing my yard (yay!), but it looks like crap since I missed a mowing...in the spring...right after I spread fertilizer.  So now I got mulch, more mulch, and lots o mulch.  Hopefully a little (lot) of raking and several mowings will fix that...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I did my first mow today out of sheer boredom. It's a couple of weeks early and about half the grass isn't grown yet, but it was therapeutic.

I also ditched my gas mower last year and have an old school push mower now, believe it or not.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 15, 2021, 08:31:25 PM
Quote from: Toonces on February 15, 2021, 08:26:05 PM
Still not sure about the wall, though.

is a god damn battleship gray wall in a small space.  stupid doesnt begin to describe that idea.
its the second biggest problem in that space after the 70s floor.

Hey, I'm re-bumping this because I'm getting serious about tackling this project in the next few weeks. 

Straight up: this bathroom needs a complete gut and reconstruction, but I have a couple of higher priority projects that have to come first so this is a band-aid for a year until I have a bit more funds and patience to deal with a contractor.

This is the wall I was referring to previously.  The same ugly tile from the floor is carried up into the wall within the shower.  The shower is J-shaped with a glass portion for the lower part of the J, and sliding glass doors for the long part.  It all needs to go, but that is simply beyond my capability.

Painting the stucco walls I can do.  Put in some vinyl flooring I can do.  But I can't replace this monstrosity, so I want to live with the shower as is, but somehow transform that tile-wall with the hearts into something I can live with for another year or two, even if it's a kind of ghetto fix.

Looking for specifics here; don't send me to Home Depot expecting me to know what the F I'm doing, because I don't.  Explain it like you'd explain it to Homer Simpson, or Jeff in my avatar.

You'll recall the other side of the bathroom looks like this.  Note the floor tile:

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

^ Note, that bathroom pic on the bottom is from the previous owner; I have no idea what that controller on the wall did with the toilet, but I'll bet it was pretty cool.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

steve58

There are companies like Bath Fitter that can install custom fitted bath tubs/walls over your existing one.  Never went that way myself, but, it may be an option.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Pete Dero

Quote from: Toonces on May 07, 2021, 11:59:42 AM
^ Note, that bathroom pic on the bottom is from the previous owner; I have no idea what that controller on the wall did with the toilet, but I'll bet it was pretty cool.

I fear the previous owner tricked you because I can't see a bath in the bathroom ...  :coolsmiley:

Toonces

You know, I was dismissive of those bathroom drop in liners, and they are cheap as hell, but that might be the best option.  I'm working awfully hard around that crappy sliding glass door thingy on my shower that's a total eyesore.  It might be best to just rip that completely out, drop in a liner for the wall and tub, put up a J-shape shower curtain, and call it done until I can get the entire bathroom replaced.  I don't think those plastic shells are all that expensive to get installed.

Toonces

Alright, that was quick.  I'm bagging the shell idea for now.

This is more or less exactly what I'm thinking of doing: https://notinggrace.com/changed-our-bathroom-tile-for-150-bucks/

Basically just painting over the existing tile.  I think I do that with the floor and shower wall, change out the colors of the walls and ceilings like Starfury said, change out the blinds, and maybe pull out that crappy glass shower door and go with a J-shaped curtain rod and shower curtain, I can live with that bathroom a while longer.  I can't tell you how much it disturbs me every time I see it.

I wish I had $30k to get that bathroom gutted, but I've simply got to get my backyard fence repaired, some additional landscaping I've been procrastinating on, and oh so much more.

JasonPratt

Got here late today, but I was also thinking of researching painting the tile. So... like a thick laquer (usually clear-coat) to create a smooth surface over the tiles, and then painting that once it hardens? When you're done, if the original coat is thick enough, the tiles wouldn't be visible at all.

Okay, I see in the article they're just repainting the tiles, not truly resurfacing them. I was going farther than strictly necessary. ;) Using a two-element epoxy on the wall but not the floor.... okay, that's to keep it from running down the walls, it sets up super-quickly.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

you cant resurface tile like that.
if I was Toonces I would slowly back away from that project for a moment.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

certain types of projects have an inherent cascade effect.  kitchens and bathrooms are at the top of the list.
nothing is superficial and it all costs money you didnt plan on.
you might think its simple to find a shower shell to drop into the space you have.
lining up the plumbing and drain with your shell is another story.  and it snowballs way before that.
ya want to renovate a typical bathroom like the one shown....
prepare to drop at least $9k for some basic bullshit.
and no, most people should not try to dyi this.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

^ Yeah, exactly.

I was discussing just "repainting" the tile and stucco in the bathroom and then told her we can keep the glass doors on the shower or I can take them off and put in a J-shower rod and curtain.  And it turns into "well, how much did our custom glass doors cost in our other bathroom?" and suddenly she's talking about investing $1500 in a bathroom that we're going to gut in a year. 

The repainting sounds like a hassle, but within my skill set.  I can live with it a while longer with just a fresh paint, and covering up those bloody hearts.  I can't imagine how that ever looked like a good idea.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2021, 03:12:57 PM
I also ditched my gas mower last year and have an old school push mower now, believe it or not.

Youngish neighbors who moved in next to us at our prior house started with a reel mower.  Took the guy half a front yard of an approximately 0.50 Ac. lot to get a gas powered one.  Having said that, I'd like to try one out on our lawn at the place we live now.

Gusington

I have sporadic grass over ~2 rocky, hilly acres and my push mower is my new best friend. Took one try to get used to how it works. I may get an electric mower, but I see no reason to ever go back to gas.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

demjansk1942

I am gutting the bathroom soon and I think the contractor is bailing on me, prices going up or doesn't want to do the job