Main Menu

I'm on Friday

Started by al_infierno, April 21, 2023, 02:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Today's Friday thread is a double feature.  The classic Springsteen plus a recent acoustic cover.

Just got laid off from my job completely unexpectedly yesterday, but thanks to California I'll be enjoying both the severance they gave me and Unemployment benefits.   :Dreamer:

Bought Dead Island 2 as my last game purchase for a while, hopefully it doesn't suck.  Will report in.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

:undecided: Laid off! Sorry to hear this. I have been there. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next. And that is my favorite Springsteen song - wanna work for me as my dj?

I am taking a pivot from Viking history to classical ancient history starting today...will revisit Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Old World (with the newly acquired Sacred and Profane DLC), Imperiums: Greek Wars, and maybe even some Zeus+Poseidon (that I just bought from GOG for 4.99).

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

^ I'll accept no less than 45,000 insults screamed at me over the phone by Jarhead per year for the position.  :tophat:

Getting into Dead Island 2 and I'm loving it so far.  It's a simple and straightforward melee-focused game, and it's more focused and less open world than the first which I find refreshing.  The combat is incredibly satisfying.  When you bash on the zombies, they get bloodied up and then chunks of them start bashing off.  Excellent gore animations and whatnot.  There's also a nice variety in the style of zombies from goopy gorey fresh ones to old, dried out zombies who clearly came out of a grave somehow.

Here's an example of a zombie who had a fully formed head before I got through with him.  It sounds morbid, but the way zombies fall apart when you hit/slice them is extremely satisfying.

NSFW/NSFL realistic gore, be warned:

https://i.imgur.com/al2ZI3i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/byYNtMV.png
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Sorry to hear about the layoff.  Been there and done that myself back in 2014.  That Severance/Unemployment goes quick so best of luck. 

As for gaming, probably more Cyberpunk on Overdrive, Flying Circus II German Career and in the background Great Northern War.

My cup runneth over.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Geezer

Sorry to hear you got laid off.  Hope you can find something else soon.

Playing Diablo 3 these days.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

W8taminute

Sorry to hear about your lay off.  I've been there myself 4 times in my life.  No fun but the key is to keep on searching, eventually you will find another job.

Fired up Grand Tactician Civil War and am having a lot more fun with it then when it first came out.  No thanks to tons of LP videos on YouTube.  It's a pretty good game that I appreciate better than when I first tried it.

I'll also be continuing my adventure in Wartales.  Solid game so far.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tanaka

Sorry you lost your job. I lost mine back in the great recession and it was terrible. At least we are not in a recession...yet.

Shadow Empire with Oceania DLC for me.

Also got the Roman itch and am playing my first Ageod PBEM with AJE and it is a lot of fun. As well as Imperator Rome with the Invictus mod which has probably become my favorite Paradox game with the mod. The Invictus team have done a great job with it and made the game what it should have been when Paradox abandoned it.

Sir Slash

Sorry to hear about the lay-off al. I got my pink slip where I was working back in 2010 the day before I had an interview at the place where I ended-up working. I wish I could take credit for that working-out the way it did, but it wasn't me who did it.

I will be trying to get past a particularly hard fight in Solasta: Crown of the Magister and the grandson's Little League game. Have a great weekend Grogs.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Al, good luck with finding a new job.

Just Combat Mission for me.

@Tanaka : thanks for the tip about the Invictus mod.

Enjoy the weekend.

Destraex

I am also sorry that you got laid off, especially in such an unexpected fashion. But glad that their are benefits to cushon the blow while you look around for another.

This weekend I plan to play:
War of Rights - To those that own the game and have played it. Important news.
"from the 21st to the 31st may we can all redeem loyalty bonus XP based on in game hours in game. After that you cannot get the bonus." If you do not claim your XP you may not be able to access the higher tiers like officers and such in matches until you earn enough XP to prove you have been around enough to know the game and thus be fairly competent at those roles. Not sure what else the XP system affects.
Command Ops 2 - Free version to see if I like it enough to grab a pack.
WARNO - Was supposed to be an update with some operations this weekend. But it seems it has been delayed. Perhaps these EU\Canadian 4 day working weeks that seem to be becoming more common are affecting productivity 'jokes' ;)
I did see Blackbird Interactive who are working on homeworld3, minecraft legends, shipbreakers etc now have 4 day working weeks for example.
Age of Empires IV - Some sort of villager celebration with a few portraits to collect
Company of Heroes 3 of course. Action packed and tense while offering tactical and strategic decisions within a tight OODA loop. Decisions under pressure like not many turn based wargames offer.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Tanaka

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 22, 2023, 02:46:20 AMAl, good luck with finding a new job.

Just Combat Mission for me.

@Tanaka : thanks for the tip about the Invictus mod.

Enjoy the weekend.

For sure. For anyone else interested you can check out their changes here:

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Imperator_Invictus

CJReich46

Ultima IV: The Quest of the Avatar - yep. I was in such a funk last week I decided to dive into one of my all time favorites.

Currently - Level 5, my two party members are Iolo (The Bard) and Jaana (The Druidess) and I'm even playing it on the GOG.com version not patched with the Xu4 mod.

Really enjoying the game. It's so nice to play something simple.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Tanaka

Now that my SCWAW game with Gaming with the Colonel is winding down I decided to also start my very first PBEM with SCACW as the Rebs. Very fun and much more difficult against a human player of course. Have had to adapt and change all of my usual strategies already. My opponent is Ukrainian so we have had some very interesting discussions...