Main Menu

Cepheus Protocol

Started by Jarhead0331, June 29, 2020, 04:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Been playing this neat little early access title on Steam. It's presently on sale for only $14.99.

You're part of an emergency response team sent to "Treasure Island" near San Francisco to help contain and stop a viral (zombie) outbreak. You play the role of the Captain in charge who is represented as a unit on the map. You have to protect her. You set up various bases at control points across the map and deploy teams of soldiers, scientists, engineers and medics. Your goal is to track down and eliminate "Patient Zero" who is spreading the outbreak across the island. You can keep track of the number of infected and uninfected civilians on the map, so this creates some incentive to move faster in order to limit or contain the spread.

Its still obviously in an early access state, but totally playable and fun. Check it out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979640/Cepheus_Protocol/

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Bought this myself yesterday after seeing a demo on YT. Has good Act of War vibes, but I haven't gotten to it yet. (Started working on Farmer's Dynasty last evening.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Seems pretty cool.  I always liked the idea of a fully fleshed out tactical zombie containment simulator where you're setting up roadblocks on important junctions, quarantining city zones, and dropping "containment" bombs while trying to keep squaddies from getting overwhelmed and munched on.

This looks like it'll scratch that general itch, but I do wonder how much the "player character" mechanics will distract from the overall strategic/tactical decision making.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on June 29, 2020, 07:19:48 PM
Seems pretty cool.  I always liked the idea of a fully fleshed out tactical zombie containment simulator where you're setting up roadblocks on important junctions, quarantining city zones, and dropping "containment" bombs while trying to keep squaddies from getting overwhelmed and munched on.

This looks like it'll scratch that general itch, but I do wonder how much the "player character" mechanics will distract from the overall strategic/tactical decision making.

They don't distract at all. You can decide to leave her at you base and not bring her into the field.  However, she has some powerful perks, so bringing her along or deploying her to hotspots can come in handy...for instance, she can authorize A10 strikes, but she has to be near the target to call them in...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2020, 07:47:06 PM

They don't distract at all. You can decide to leave her at you base and not bring her into the field.  However, she has some powerful perks, so bringing her along or deploying her to hotspots can come in handy...for instance, she can authorize A10 strikes, but she has to be near the target to call them in...

Sounds great!  If she dies is it Game Over, or do you just lose out on her powerful perks/support/etc?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Come to think of it, I bought a game like that last year or the year before -- Feb 2018, I see. It's very lo-gfx, super-indie, but has a lot of that action. Atom Zombie Smasher. Currently on sale for US$5 at Steam!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on June 29, 2020, 07:53:17 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2020, 07:47:06 PM

Sounds great!  If she dies is it Game Over, or do you just lose out on her powerful perks/support/etc?

Yes. You must protect her. If she dies, the game is over.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

FarAway Sooner

Do they have an option where wearing Masks can slow down the spread of the Zombie apocalypse?  Why do all Zombies have to spread their plague by biting, anyway?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 01, 2020, 02:21:43 PM
Do they have an option where wearing Masks can slow down the spread of the Zombie apocalypse?  Why do all Zombies have to spread their plague by biting, anyway?

Yes. Gas masks are an upgrade that can be acquired through your command center.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mbar

Do you think there is longevity and replayability  with just the one San Francisco map?

It looks good but I'm tapped out for this sale. I'd buy it full price though if it's good.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mbar on July 01, 2020, 03:17:53 PM
Do you think there is longevity and replayability  with just the one San Francisco map?

It looks good but I'm tapped out for this sale. I'd buy it full price though if it's good.

Honestly don't know. The map is fairly small, but it is also still in early access too. I see this more as a game that will be best enjoyed in small doses anyway.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Zulu1966

Necroing this - but bought the other day - looks good - still only one map but like what I see so far
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

FarAway Sooner

I've been to Treasure Island a couple times.  Assuming the map is faithfully represented, I'd love to be able to claim, "Hey, that's the Ultimate Frisbee field where I did that charity tournament 20 years ago!"

Jarhead0331

The game is pretty awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog