Anno 1800 - anyone tried it?

Started by JudgeDredd, April 14, 2019, 11:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

i have an easter egg for you Gents  :)

CTRL+SHIFT+R get's you in the first person view (at least so it worked in the last beta)  you can walk and run and jump
the faces of the pedestrians are a woodcut-like , but it was never meant to get sooo close to them
so its still an amazing feature to walk through the city you may just have build  and its zoo or even into the boxing arena...

i recently watched some live streams of one of my favorite German youtubers (Writing Bull)  for relaxation instead of telly and so learned about that feature on Sunday eve

the game is not my cup of tea atm, the military part is to tinny for me,  i am not into builders with product chains but the graphics are stunning

Con

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2019, 09:27:59 AM
If I end up getting it, it will be direct from ubisoft through uplay.

Uplay had some problems when it was first released, but its been pretty reliable for me since...and by the way, all ubisoft titles require uplay anyway, even if you acquire the game on steam.
I hadnt really put 2 and 2 together when the earlier thread was referencing Ubisoft I was just going with my first action which is to go to steam.  My dislike of multiple gaming site logins has just grown for me into an aversion of having to deal with them over the last couple of years.  I rarely play anything now that requires a separate login and that includes my ubisoft titles that I own.  Too little time too many games that I havent played the barrier to get me to adopt has been driven pretty low and for me its all about convenience and keeping everything organized and aggregated together.

Shame looks like a nice game but probably for the best that I keep my focus on trying to win the Smolensk scenario in war in the east.

Con

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Con on April 16, 2019, 10:46:37 AM
If I end up getting it, it will be direct from ubisoft through uplay.

Uplay had some problems when it was first released, but its been pretty reliable for me since...and by the way, all ubisoft titles require uplay anyway, even if you acquire the game on steam.
I hadnt really put 2 and 2 together when the earlier thread was referencing Ubisoft I was just going with my first action which is to go to steam.  My dislike of multiple gaming site logins has just grown for me into an aversion of having to deal with them over the last couple of years.  I rarely play anything now that requires a separate login and that includes my ubisoft titles that I own.  Too little time too many games that I havent played the barrier to get me to adopt has been driven pretty low and for me its all about convenience and keeping everything organized and aggregated together.

Shame looks like a nice game but probably for the best that I keep my focus on trying to win the Smolensk scenario in war in the east.

Con

I agree with the impulse to avoid having too many third-party programs requiring login for play. I seem to be at my threshold, which is at least part of the reason why I'm resistant to Epic.  However, since I'm already comfortable with uplay and use it frequently for games like Division, Tom Clancy, Assiassins Creed, Far Cry, etc., acquiring new games that require this platform is a non-issue for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Also waiting for a sale price to pop up...eventually.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mbar

Gad! Note to self: Do not pre-load any game from Steam. They just end up downloading the same amount anyway. Fix that to beat Epic why dontcha!?

Anguille

That's why i don't buy ubisoft games...

Wolfe1759

All the Anno talk prompted me to reinstall Anno 2070 on my Steam account. Installed it on Steam then followed all the UPlay prompts, watched all the patches reinstall via UPlay, started up the game then got an error saying my CD Key was already being used by someone else on UPlay and was therefore unable to play the game that I own  :tickedoff:

Don't buy anything that relies on UPlay to play  >:(

P.S. then I reinstalled Anno 1404 which works absolutely fine, maybe that is because it doesn't use UPlay  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on April 17, 2019, 07:16:15 PM

I won't; but thanks for the cautionary tale anyway.  Are you going to take it up with support?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on April 17, 2019, 07:16:15 PM
All the Anno talk prompted me to reinstall Anno 2070 on my Steam account. Installed it on Steam then followed all the UPlay prompts, watched all the patches reinstall via UPlay, started up the game then got an error saying my CD Key was already being used by someone else on UPlay and was therefore unable to play the game that I own  :tickedoff:

P.S. then I reinstalled Anno 1404 which works absolutely fine, maybe that is because it doesn't use UPlay  :)

Are you sure you are using the right uplay account? This once happened to me. I had two uplay accounts for some reason and had registered a game to one of them and forgot, and then I tried registering it again to the other account. It took awhile to remember that I had that other account that the game had been registered to.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

I'm out on the ledge with this one, got it in my cart and am tempted to pull the trigger.  :-\
Its on sale over at Fanatical.  Base game is ~$13, complete package for ~$31.  Prices good for the next ~7 hours.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I never got past the tutorial campaign after 3-4 tries over the course of about a dozen hours. I really want to like it but the mechanics of the game are just beyond me and my economy always crumbled into dust at the end, even after thinking I had finally overcome my boneheadedness :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I enjoyed it. Base game is totally worth $13. I don't have any of the add-on DLCs though. none of them seemed substantial enough for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

Decided I'm going to pass on it for now.  I don't think I'd end up playing it much. I'll pick it up when it ends up in a bundle somewhen...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Gah - was looking forward to see how you would do :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on November 30, 2020, 04:38:27 PM
Gah - was looking forward to see how you would do :/

Me too, but I think its just the eye candy that keeps drawing me back to Anno 1800.  I'll pay a buck or two for eye candy, $13, maybe not.