Historical Times

Started by Keunert, January 04, 2014, 02:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Keunert

that's why they won the war
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

bob48

I think that was not a real vehicle.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

The sentry crouching inside the guard tower disguised as a street light fixture shows that the beastly machine is true to scale. Fie on those Fiendish Huns and their leviathan war engines!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Nah. Can't find anything on the web about it. Plus, I doubt they would have had a power plant powerful enough or small enough to propel anything that heavy.

I'm not convinced. 'Tis propaganda!

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

I'm viddying this on a phone so detail is tiny...but I hope it was a real thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

My thought is that if it really did exist, and given the level of interest here about WW1, we would have heard of it before.

I await further proof, but remain very sceptical  :-\

'Clip those corners'

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

bob48

Quote from: Keunert on February 26, 2014, 10:49:09 AM
Tze Zerman Zsar Tank

Nah - that was the one with great big daft bicycle wheels  ;)

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

That's right...the Tsar was also Russian, not German.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I think the key is...

QuoteCourtesy of "The Sketch"

...which sounds kinda like it could be an old-timey Onion.

Anything THAT big would weigh so much it would tear the $hit out of those city streets. Gotta be propaganda.

ComradeP

I think it's from a wartime periodical and intended to make fun of the Germans in some subtle way we no longer understand.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

BanzaiCat

Nonsense. If it's bigger, it HAS to be better.

See: Maus, Ratte, etc.

ArizonaTank

I'm in the fake photo camp.  The shadow underneath the vehicle stops after the front wheels.  For it to carry 120 it would have to be much longer.  Also, you would see something of the back wheels.  A shadow or something.  Finally, the gaps between wheel plates seems to be inconsistent between the wheels.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Staggerwing

It's definitely a fake. The vehicle is lit from the front and the lamp post is lit from behind. You can see the lamppost's shadow across the rubble in front of it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys