The Dark Valley

Started by Mad Russian, December 20, 2013, 02:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Russian

I have been an Eastern Front fanatic since my first ever wargame - Panzerblitz. I have been a Russian Front(RF) enthusiast since that game came out in 1985.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/329/russian-front

Since that time I've made numerous house rules to correct some of the minor issues for RF. But it still was missing that 'something'. We were continuing to work on it. Then by accident last week I found out about The Dark Valley by GMT.

I ordered it, downloaded the rules, scenario booklet and errata. Opened the Vassal module and starting looking around. This looks very much like what I've been looking for in an Eastern Front game.

Has anyone gotten TKV yet? Or played it?

If so, what do you think?

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

GJK

Quote from: Mad Russian on December 20, 2013, 02:33:46 PM
I have been an Eastern Front fanatic since my first ever wargame - Panzerblitz. I have been a Russian Front(RF) enthusiast since that game came out in 1985.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/329/russian-front

Since that time I've made numerous house rules to correct some of the minor issues for RF. But it still was missing that 'something'. We were continuing to work on it. Then by accident last week I found out about The Dark Valley by GMT.

I ordered it, downloaded the rules, scenario booklet and errata. Opened the Vassal module and starting looking around. This looks very much like what I've been looking for in an Eastern Front game.

Has anyone gotten TKV yet? Or played it?

If so, what do you think?

Good Hunting.

MR

What are your initial thoughts on it as compared to say "No Retreat"?  To be fair to NR, I don't think that we gave it a good through (at all really); or did we just find a critical flaw maybe?  I forget.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Mad Russian

I've just played the opening round of Barbarossa with one of the games playtesters.

From my play through of the first turn I have some likes and dislikes about the game and will do a review once I play it some more.

Good Hunting.

MR

Ubercat

Quote from: Mad Russian on December 23, 2013, 07:00:28 PM
I've just played the opening round of Barbarossa with one of the games playtesters.

From my play through of the first turn I have some likes and dislikes about the game and will do a review once I play it some more.

Good Hunting.

MR

I'm also an eastern front enthusiast and TDV has just caught my eye. I eagerly await your take on it.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

ArizonaTank

Looking forward to your thoughts as well.  I recently purchased TDV, but just have too much on my gaming plate at the moment to get much into it. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Mad Russian on December 23, 2013, 07:00:28 PM

Good Hunting.

MR

Adding my name to the list of those awaiting your thoughts, MR

Mad Russian

The game doesn't work for me. A bit too much abstraction.

I like the game mechanics of the chit pull but don't like the unhistorical ratio and the complete randomness of it all.

Those of you that have known me for awhile know my big issue is to get the situation as close to historically accurate as you can and then go from there.

Some of you may like it.

After several discussions with the designer it ended up not being for me.

Good Hunting.

MR