Bolt Action - WW2 Skirmish Game

Started by DV8, August 27, 2012, 03:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DV8

The boys from WWPD have launched a site dedicated to the yet to be released Bolt Action. They have run a few battles in 15mm and 28mm with AARs.

Take a look - http://www.boltaction.net/

As LB can attest to I'm always looking for the next better WW2 miniatures rules set.
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

TheCommandTent

I've heard some good things but have not had a chance to try out the rule set.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

DV8

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Seriously guys, why did you have to go and post those links.  Now I've got to buy the rules and since its a preorder I have to wait.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 28, 2012, 08:04:09 AM
Seriously guys, why did you have to go and post those links.  Now I've got to buy the rules and since its a preorder I have to wait.

I have several reservations about the game.

First, having invested in 100mm scale, I'm not eager to bump up to 28. DV8 tells me it's simple to convert the scale back to 100mm by simply going from English to Metric. OK, fine, but that goes to point #2.

Second, I'm not thrilled by the OOB. From the looks of things, it's a platoon of guys, some sort of heavy weapon, and a tank. That's more skirmish than wargame, and for WWII, I'd rather play something closer to a wargame.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on August 28, 2012, 08:09:03 AM

First, having invested in 100mm scale, I'm not eager to bump up to 28. DV8 tells me it's simple to convert the scale back to 100mm by simply going from English to Metric. OK, fine, but that goes to point #2.

Second, I'm not thrilled by the OOB. From the looks of things, it's a platoon of guys, some sort of heavy weapon, and a tank. That's more skirmish than wargame, and for WWII, I'd rather play something closer to a wargame.

I enjoy skirmish games so this seems right up my alley.  I also have a few minis in 1/72 scale that I can use to try out the rules with.  It should be an easy conversion of the rules from 28mm to 1/72, in fact I might be able to leave it alone and just play.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: DV8 on August 28, 2012, 08:15:43 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 28, 2012, 07:49:29 AM
Quote from: DV8 on August 28, 2012, 04:54:39 AM
If anyone is interested Amazon has an outstanding price on the rules.

http://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Action-World-Wargames-Wargaming/dp/1780960867/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346147606&sr=8-1&keywords=bolt+action+rule

Yes they do.

Here's the GrogHeads link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1780960867/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1780960867&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20
. What is a Grogheads link?  I'm a missing something?

If you purchase it through that link GrogHeads gets a little kickback as the referring site.  In several of the forum sections they have Amazon links so you can use them to purchase things through Amazon and help GrogHeads out along the way.

DV8

At $26 I'm willing to give it a try. Since you can use 15mm models there is not much risk since i can use my FoW minis and the batreps seem pretty interesting.  Lastly there seems to be a lot of folks who are interested in the game which means plenty of opponents.

DV8

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 28, 2012, 08:19:39 AM
Quote from: DV8 on August 28, 2012, 08:15:43 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 28, 2012, 07:49:29 AM
Quote from: DV8 on August 28, 2012, 04:54:39 AM
If anyone is interested Amazon has an outstanding price on the rules.

http://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Action-World-Wargames-Wargaming/dp/1780960867/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346147606&sr=8-1&keywords=bolt+action+rule

Yes they do.

Here's the GrogHeads link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1780960867/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1780960867&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20
. What is a Grogheads link?  I'm a missing something?

If you purchase it through that link GrogHeads gets a little kickback as the referring site.  In several of the forum sections they have Amazon links so you can use them to purchase things through Amazon and help GrogHeads out along the way.
Good to know. I will use it next time.

LongBlade

Quote from: DV8 on August 28, 2012, 08:21:04 AM

At $26 I'm willing to give it a try. Since you can use 15mm models there is not much risk since i can use my FoW minis and the batreps seem pretty interesting.  Lastly there seems to be a lot of folks who are interested in the game which means plenty of opponents.

I know we'll try it. I'm actually looking forward to it...provided my head doesn't explode from all the new rules being crammed into it.

DV8

No one said it would be easy taking it easy.  ;)

TheCommandTent

I am hoping the rules are easy to comprehend and contain alot of common sense concepts.

Jack Nastyface

This is indeed a skirmish game, where one figure = one man.  I think Rick's (Priestly...one of the key designers) main goal was to create a fun WWII game that DIDN'T try to compete with Flames of War (or Axis and Allies).  Despite the presence of cross-branded minis, it also LOOKS like you could use almost any scale minis (similar to what Force-on-Force did) so that 1/72, 28mm, 1/32 etc gaming would all be affordable and viable options.

Skirmish games are indeed a unique experience, but are not for everyone.  I love mano-a-mano / plane-vs-plane / ship-vs-ship games, and have spent most of my gaming life with games like Melee, Gunslinger, Car Wars, Flight Leader, WSIM, and more recently Wings of War, just to name a few.

As mentioned, game mechanics are the real deal-maker / deal breaker in these things.  I expect the local hobby store will have a "browsable" copy of the rules very soon...so I'll probably browse through a sample of play section.

On a somewhat related note...has anyone seen a copy of games rulebooks at a local library?  It just occured to me that that would be an interesting "vertical" for libraries to invest in....

Yours in gaming,

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.