ICBM - The Global Conflict (in development)

Started by ufnv, September 15, 2019, 02:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ufnv

Working on the tutorial so you spend less time trying to figure out how the things work.

ufnv

Jarhead0331

^God bless you. You just saved me from buying Breakpoint.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Jarhead0331

Is there any option for NATO counters? I'm not a huge fan of the unit graphics. Thanks.

Can really see the influence of Polaris Sector in terms of look and sound.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ufnv

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2019, 02:56:26 PM
Is there any option for NATO counters?
You mean another world split - having NATO as one side? It is not implemented but easily doable - need to roughly draw the area of NATO countries on the map.

I'm not a huge fan of the unit graphics.
Units are not finished yet, most of them are just placeholders.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ufnv on October 05, 2019, 03:08:09 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2019, 02:56:26 PM
Is there any option for NATO counters?
You mean another world split - having NATO as one side? It is not implemented but easily doable - need to roughly draw the area of NATO countries on the map.

No. I mean NATO unit symbology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Joint_Military_Symbology

...or something along those lines.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

matt3916

Start screen, Tutorial button, fourth box down on the right, should be "aircraft" vice "aircrafts."  English is a weird language.

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

ufnv

Quote from: solops on October 05, 2019, 08:57:31 PM
+1
Please do that.

OK. This could be an easy mod, but I'd better integrate this right into the game, so it would be possible to have a switch.

Jarhead0331

Running through the tutorials, I had fun, but, I can see this game on a large scale becoming a huge click fest. Having to select every offensive weapon and select every target for every launch is a lot of clicking and will be confusing and tedious. In BRD, you could open a list of assets and designate targets, type of weapon and number of warheads to launch. You could also open a list of targets and select an asset and number of warheads to attack them with. Despite the failings of the UI, these options were very much necessary in a game with hundreds of targets and launchers on land air and sea.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ufnv

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 06, 2019, 05:47:15 AM
Running through the tutorials, I had fun, but, I can see this game on a large scale becoming a huge click fest. Having to select every offensive weapon and select every target for every launch is a lot of clicking and will be confusing and tedious. In BRD, you could open a list of assets and designate targets, type of weapon and number of warheads to launch. You could also open a list of targets and select an asset and number of warheads to attack them with. Despite the failings of the UI, these options were very much necessary in a game with hundreds of targets and launchers on land air and sea.

Yes, I am thinking in this direction. It is not that difficult to offer a list of targets and means to plan the strike.

However, I can see two major problems right now:
- All targets but the cities are not known initially. This means you either need to constantly adjust your plans (even bigger click-fest) or add some AI there. The same with the means - you always build new.
- There is no single enemy. This means there should be probably several plans for different enemies. Even worse, the target priorities can change quite fast.

So, need to do more play tests, especially multiplayer ones. As you actually control not so many units with nuclear weapons (say, 5-8 silos + 3-4 airports + 4-6 submarines), you can queue their orders while on pause and they die quickly :D , then probably this is not that big issue. But will see.

ufnv

BTW, please note the the difficulty setting is not available yet, so the AI is quite relentless. Expect the nuclear strike anytime between 6:30.00 - 9:00.00 in-game timer, so there is not much time to build a big infrastructure.

ufnv

Thank you all for the feedback.

The most common notes so far:

1. The possibility to use NATO unit symbology for the units.
2. The missile defence is too effective (fixed)
3. No way to repair units (fixed)
4. Difficult to differentiate ranges for different radar types
5. Need some way to give orders to more than one unit (for example, multi-select then click attack - each new click assigns some of the selected unit to attack the selected target)
6. Impossible to cancel Attack order without cancelling the Follow order (fixed)
7. The amount of pollution to finish the game should be the game option
8. Need different scoring types
9. The ranges of Carrier-based aircraft are too small
10. The detection range of Satellites is too short

Did I miss anything?