What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on May 09, 2013, 09:00:16 PM
Dude, don't discriminate just because I'm in one of the freak states.  >:(

With a lower case 's' in 'states' that puts you in some broad company, especially this close to the week end.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Toonces on May 09, 2013, 09:00:16 PM
Dude, don't discriminate just because I'm in one of the freak states.  >:(

You can always pay shipping yourself. ;)

Updating, I finished TSR (finally) and have started in on The Fires of Heaven. Lots more minor character politicking out of the gate, although that includes Forsaken Socials where we're seeing them plot in-character instead of standing off to one side. At this point I don't mind minor character politicking so much, and after all these years I still find it a refreshing expansion of the story. Later, not so much.  ::) (This is no doubt the main reason why some people decided to give up with TFoH, though -- the strong increase in secondary and tertiary plotting foreshadows a lot of plot slogging.)

In passing, the (ultimately kind of important) side-plot with forcibly retired ultra-general Gareth Byrne being a kindly minor lord and, in a minor depression over his demotion, deciding to follow three odd poor women he had to stand judge for with his old war cronies who are bored out of their minds being back home again, could have been the start of a whole novel (or series) in itself. I'd actually like to read that story. Too bad there ultimately isn't much of it in WoT.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

LOL.

I meant, the shipping might prohibitive for ME to pay!  I wasn't looking for you to pay for shipping!  Geez, I'll be a box like that would come to a solid $100 or more. 

And I don't want to hear any more smack talk about Jersey you hosers.   >:(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

Oh, Toonces. Thats an absolutely brilliant article on yon front page about flight sims. Very informative stuff. Many thanks for that.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Jersey smells! You're in Hawaii, you're supposed to be chilled and relaxed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Thanks for that, Bob.  I was kind of wondering if anybody read it.

@Gus, you know I'm from South Jersey, right?  Yes, I spent my summers at the Jersey shore.  LOL.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Of course I do. And I'm from New York. So by now you should be used to a little NY/NJ ribbing. Especially from 12 gazillion miles away in paradise! Oahu aint LBI and you aint Snooki!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: bob48 on May 11, 2013, 06:40:16 AM
Oh, Toonces. Thats an absolutely brilliant article on yon front page about flight sims. Very informative stuff. Many thanks for that.

Meant to add a ditto there previously; saw I forgot to. :) Now rectified.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

OJsDad

Starting to read Mankind: The Story of all of Us.  I didn't see the History Channel show, so this is all new to me.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Toonces

Following on the heels of Sarantium, and in continuing prep for Rome Total War 2, I'm reading Quo Vadis: A Narrative from the Time of Nero by Henryk Sienkiewicz.  You may recall that I read his Fire and Sword trilogy a few months ago.

So far it's ok.  It's not quite as fluffy as the Fire and Sword books were, which were getting downright pillowy towards the end of the final book Pan Michael. 

It's free, so you can't beat the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Quo-Vadis-narrative-time-ebook/dp/B0083ZALTO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1368510125&sr=1-1&keywords=quo+vadis

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Toonces on May 14, 2013, 12:45:04 AM
Following on the heels of Sarantium, and in continuing prep for Rome Total War 2, I'm reading Quo Vadis: A Narrative from the Time of Nero by Henryk Sienkiewicz.  You may recall that I read his Fire and Sword trilogy a few months ago.

So far it's ok.  It's not quite as fluffy as the Fire and Sword books were, which were getting downright pillowy towards the end of the final book Pan Michael. 

It's free, so you can't beat the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Quo-Vadis-narrative-time-ebook/dp/B0083ZALTO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1368510125&sr=1-1&keywords=quo+vadis

I read this when I was in high school.  Very moving story from what I remember.

Gusington

Is the movie based on that book?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Can't say I've ever seen the movie.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on May 14, 2013, 07:09:40 AM
Is the movie based on that book?

Yep!--Amazon confirms it.

The most helpful review conclusion for anyone worried that the novel is only Christian inspirational literature (it is that, but stylistically it's also what directly inspired the gritty, bloody, sexy cable ancient-era shows currently popular!)

QuoteSienkiewicz, a fervid Catholic, implanted Quo Vadis with a strong religious message. Devout Christians could certainly read this novel as a work of inspirational literature. Yet Sienkiewicz is not overly preachy or dogmatic. Though Saints Peter and Paul have supporting roles, most of the story is told through the eyes of the Romans. Non-believers can read this story simply as a historical novel about the clash between the Roman Empire and a burgeoning religious movement. It must be admitted that, while the Roman characters run the gamut from honorable to depraved, the Christians are all depicted as perfectly virtuous, without a coward or a Judas among them. On the other hand, perhaps the most sympathetic character in the book is not a Christian at all, but Petronius, an Epicurean. Theist or Atheist alike can enjoy Quo Vadis simply as a masterful work of historical literature. Its only literary fault is that the plotting drags a bit in its final third, a defect that's mostly wiped from memory by the book's monumental and unforgettable closing scenes. Regardless of your religious inclination, if you have any interest in ancient Rome or a taste for historical fiction, Quo Vadis is a must-read.

A different reviewer, though appreciating the book overall, tags the writing style though (the reviewer quoted above kind of does, too, but this is more amusing):

QuoteI could have read it back to front or bottom to top just as easily as reading in the normal way. I don't want to disparage anyone from reading the book, because it is important, but beware of the difficult to read writing style.

Incidentally, while the original version is a free Kindle download, there's a color illustration version (presumably incorporating classic artwork) for $1.