What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Quote from: Martok on October 08, 2013, 08:24:50 AM
That seems to be true for most of her main characters, though (being put through the ringer).  The problem -- at least for me -- is that her characters just aren't likable.

I just always thought she hated her characters.  She didn't try all that hard to make me care about them.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Incidentally, I finished Day of the Vipers yesterday (and have since begun Night of the Wolves, the second book in the Terok Nor trilogy). 

While obviously the trilogy is serious in tone overall, it does include moments of humor...including one flat-out "LOL" scene in the first book that's an homage to Star Wars:  A Bajoran pilot quotes almost verbatim Han Solo's line from A New Hope, "We're fine.  We're all fine here now, thank you...  How are you?"  Despite the fact that everything's starting to go to hell at this point in the book, I still cracked up.  :D 

Quote from: MetalDog on October 08, 2013, 09:47:19 PM
Quote from: Martok on October 08, 2013, 08:24:50 AM
That seems to be true for most of her main characters, though (being put through the ringer).  The problem -- at least for me -- is that her characters just aren't likable.

I just always thought she hated her characters.  She didn't try at all to make me care about them.
Fixed that for you.  ::)  Yeah, I agree, though. 

I think I've said it before, but I'll repeat it:  I suspect Hobb was trying to make her characters more relate-able and/or "real" by giving them obvious character flaws.  The problem is she *way* overshot the mark. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mrs Darwin

I just finished the complete unabridged works of Nora Roberts, and now I'm on to....okay, just kidding.  Actually, I had to Google "bestselling romance authors" because I couldn't even think of the name of a trashy chick book author.  Yes, that was probably horribly sexist. 

Anyhow, I'm slugging my way through a book on social media marketing, and just finished Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
<Insert Expletive Here> Space Pirate

I'm a much nicer person when I keep my mouth shut.

bob48

I've just started yet another Kindle Freebie - 'The Thirty Years War' by  Schiller.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Sexist is a prerequisite for most of the guys on this forum. I think you'll get along fine.

I used to work in a Waldenbooks, then a BookStop, years ago - trashy romance novel readers tended to buy thirty of them at a time and burn through them in a week. How do you even tell the difference between the covers? They all look the same, with half-naked people struggling to burst out of trashy Halloween pirate costumes.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 15, 2013, 02:53:38 PM
Sexist is a prerequisite for most of the guys on this forum. I think you'll get along fine.

She's Mrs. Cap'n Darwin, so she's allowed to be horribly sexist if she wants. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 16, 2013, 07:30:56 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 15, 2013, 02:53:38 PM

She's Mrs. Cap'n Darwin, so she's allowed to be horribly sexist if she wants. :)

it feels like a kid, when youre round at your friends house and their parents come home - you have to take your feet off the sofa, stop swearing and sit politely without being rude

BanzaiCat

Gusington

Hahaha!

I am reading The Demonologist right now, the author's name escapes me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

^ Gerard Brittle. About Ed and Lorraine Warren. I have that in my Kindle but goodness knows when I'll get to it.

Gusington

No, I'm reading The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper. As far as the Warrens are (were)  concerned, they always smelled like major frauds to me. And I want to believe!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

BanzaiCat

There's a reeeeeallly fine line when it comes to "psychics." Most are absolute frauds. Then there's the frauds who have major networks behind them (e.g., the so-called Long Island Medium, who is the topper of all of them as far as I'm concerned).

A lot of that is fed by dummies that WANT so much to believe they can talk to their long-lost loved ones, and as long as they exist, there will be no shortage of Long Island Mediums, unfortunately.

As far as the Warrens are concerned, it's not so much their self-professed connectivity to the netherworlds that intrigues me; it's how they, in particular, got to where they were in the first place. For those that present themselves as relatively respectable 'investigators,' I'll give them the benefit of the doubt; those with annoying Jersey accents, not so much.

Martok

Am about to begin Dawn of the Eagles, the third book in the Terok Nor trilogy.  I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that at least thus far, the series is about as good as I remember it to be. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero. He played the role of Mark in The Room. It's a fascinating history about how he came to know Tommy Wiseau, and the making of The Room. Based on what I've read so far, I'm amazed that The Room turned out as well as it did...