What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

So Banzai I can't figure it out from your last post...are you a fan of the Warrens?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I wouldn't say fan, but I'm interested in learning more about them.

I hate to admit it, as most have strong opinions on this sort of thing, but I worked with a ghost-hunting group about 12-13 years ago, Lone Star Spirits. Might find them in a Google search, but it's been so long I don't know if they're still around or not.

I only went on a few investigations. It started because I did a project on 'ghost hunting' for a class in college back in 2000 or so. I chose the subject because it was somewhat interesting and different from usual presentations. This Lone Star Spirits group helped me out a lot with information (equipment, methodology, etc.) and I went on a few investigations with them, then again a few times after the class was over. However, I didn't stick with it because (a) it freaked me the hell out on more than a couple of occasions, and (b) I really didn't want to take the chance of taking something home with me. My son was a toddler at the time and my daughter a newborn and, well, after a few minor incidents I decided that was enough for me.

So IMO, I think there's some weird things that can be explained by science, and some things that cannot. Most of these investigations, nothing happens; sometimes you'll get an EMP spike or a cool spot but nothing that will make you pee your pants or anything. Then there's a few moments of terror that will get you good, like feeling like you're being watched by something that absolutely hates your guts, or having your ear tapped, or hearing your name being whispered when nobody else was around. Could have been my imagination working overtime in each instance, but all of that still gives me a little shiver when I think about it. I had enough.

In any case, I'm not a hardcore ghost enthusiast, but I'd like to think I've experienced enough to think yep, there's something amazingly weird and creepy in the world, and no thank you, I don't want to purposefully put myself in a situation like that again.

Most 'psychics' are frauds, especially if they're out to make money doing these things. My wife enjoys watching Long Island Medium, and that lady on the show is just like sandpaper on my skin; I can't stand the woman.

Sorry for the long explanation, but thought you might to know where I'm coming from on this. I'm aware most things can be hoaxes or have rational explanations. I'm not all that familiar with the Warrens - I'd heard of them and know some people back in the day that respected their work - so I got the book a while ago hoping to learn a little more about them.

Gusington

Holy sh*t...that is fantastic.

If you are comfortable PMing I would love to hear more. I consider myself a pretty hardcore "ghost enthusiast." Part of my plan is to one day write the world's most frightening ghost story. I am sort of in your boat...I want to believe but I don't want to have my face eaten by an invisible demon.

PM me with details...I am intrigued!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dolan50

Just watched a horror movie at my sisters house today that featured the warrens.
I came in at the last half of the movie and don't recall the name of it though.
Never been much of a horror fan except for maybe Stephen King in High School.
The only horror novel I really enjoyed was Floating Dragon by Peter Straub.
Would like to see that novel turned into a movie some day.

I read mostly and don't watch movies or TV much.
Tonight I started reading Gordon C. Rheas' The Battle for the Wilderness.
He wrote 4 books that I own about the battles that took place in Virginia during Grants 1864 campaigns ending with Cold Harbor,I'm not sure if He wrote anymore though.He is probably my favorite CW author,though Peter Cozzens writes some decent CW books also.
It's been awhile since I bought any books on the American Civil War and I still have over a hundred that I haven't really read yet since I went on a Amazon book buying spree about 5 years ago.
I'm hoping after reading these 4 books back to back that I may rekindle my interest in reading the rest of the CW books in my collection and maybe even start playing some of the CW board games I own but never played.

Hopefully,with all the holidays coming up I can find time to do a little of both.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

JasonPratt

BC,

Back in college I was getting a broadcast communications degree, and while I was home for the summer I interned at the largest local TV station. I was just the guy who helped drag around the equipment (especially the portable battery packs) and set up the lights etc., nothing important. But one day while we were riding in the news van somewhere to get reel for a story, we passed a rather nondescript but abandoned little single story house, and the producer on the shoot started telling us how she had gone there a few years ago to do a ghost story report for, y'know, public interest color. I can't recall exactly what she said about the details, though I get the impression she and the exec back at the station decided not to run the story, but she was REAAAALY disturbed by things that happened and things she saw (including a dark face with glowing eyes) and heard about in that house. I could smell the fear coming off her, and feel her temperature change there in the car -- not an experience I think I've ever had before or since. I'm sure she wasn't faking it just to entertain herself, though what actually happened there who knows?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 15, 2013, 02:53:38 PM
Sexist is a prerequisite for most of the guys on this forum. I think you'll get along fine.

I used to work in a Waldenbooks, then a BookStop, years ago - trashy romance novel readers tended to buy thirty of them at a time and burn through them in a week. How do you even tell the difference between the covers? They all look the same, with half-naked people struggling to burst out of trashy Halloween pirate costumes.

I worked there, too! 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

My ex-wife was a manager for a Waldenbooks from late 80s to early 90's.  :o

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 15, 2013, 02:53:38 PM
They all look the same, with half-naked people struggling to burst out of trashy Halloween pirate costumes.

You probably know that most of the guys in the cover paintings were based on this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabio_Lanzoni

QuoteFabio Lanzoni (Italian pronunciation: [ˈfaːbjo lanˈtsoːni]); born March 15, 1959),widely known simply as Fabio, is an Italian fashion model, spokesperson, and actor, who appeared on the covers of hundreds of romance novels throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

I decided against posting a picture of him in full bodice-ripper-cover glory in case it attracted certain 'undesirable elements'...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Gusington

Full disclosure: at my first job out of school I answered Fabio's fan mail, as Fabio. For a year. I am not joking.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

So that's where your hair went! You really didn't have to put a lock of it in every response envelope just to promote the veracity of your replies.

(J/K  :D)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2013, 06:44:29 PM
Full disclosure: at my first job out of school I answered Fabio's fan mail, as Fabio. For a year. I am not joking.

my God I love this forum!

as an aside, this confirms that we've spoken before we met on the internet.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Gus, you just made my day.  Props for sharing that little tidbit.  :D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

TIL that Gus is more awesome than I ever imagined.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

How in the Hell did you end up with that job?!