Enlisted: War Thunder with an infantry POV

Started by MengJiao, May 13, 2021, 07:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on May 19, 2021, 07:15:37 PM
Gave this game a whirl today and I'm pleasantly surprised with it.  Satisfying bolt-action battles with some armor to mix things up.  Reminds me a lot of Battlefield but a bit more "realistic."  I really like the AI squad system even if they get in your way sometimes.  Also, I like the way squads cool down after you wipe, and it seems like you can always pick what you want and mix things up.  I haven't found myself getting "denied" a tank or sniper rifle just because some other player was faster clicking on it.

Just a few minor observations: 1) There are limits to planes and tanks available at particular times (I think only one plane per side and 2 tanks, but that might be by scenario)
                                                2) I've never had trouble getting a sniper rifle since you can have a certain number per squad for certain types of squads -- I prefer not to use them since I'm either in a tank or calling in artillery or trying to get somewhere.  For defense, I put the squad on defense and then target them where I suspect the enemy will turn up...the "enemy spotted" intervention is treated by the AI as "watch out over there" and can be pretty effective.  While the AI dudes are not particularly good shots, it does keep them busy and they do get some surprising hits occasionally.
                                                3) Why just last night, I was busy on the radio calling in artillery, when the enemy overran my little house (little houses are easier to defend).  I was resigned to having my radio team wiped out and sure enough, the second Gefritter in did kill my fearless leader, but the survivors pulled themselves together even as I was busy watching the kill cam and my dude with a shotgun got my killer and somebody clubbed the next one to death in the mud room before I could so much as punch the "I'll be this guy" button.  After that I called in artillery fire on the little house and we held out against all other attacks by hiding under a table for the Win.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 20, 2021, 08:25:13 AM

I didn't take this picture.  It's from a review that does give some good advice about hatchet use (that's not an axe, but hey its a Russian game):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 26, 2021, 08:01:06 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 21, 2021, 02:10:34 PM

Homeless tanker:

And I'm back from the beach and playing some Enlisted with this seriously weird MG (well, one of the fun things about Enlisted is the odd assortment of weapons):

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2021, 08:42:05 AM
Welcome back, man.

Glad to be back!

And here's the all-new mortar team in training:

Destraex

Any reason to play this over say hell let loose or post scriptum?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

ArizonaTank

I like the fact that you are commanding a half squad...not just one guy.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

Yeah. That sounds good. I might try it. Is it in the War Thunder client?

EDIT: Downloading enlisted now. In the mean time I managed to download war thunder ships again and have a few goes. Still fun but very slow. I notice the have earlier dreadnaughts now.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 10, 2021, 04:53:59 PM

Training for Tunisia.  The Boys AT rifle doesn't inspire much confidence, but the long bayonets work really well!

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on September 11, 2021, 07:35:07 PM
Any reason to play this over say hell let loose or post scriptum?

It's fast-paced and relatively arcady -- not like the battlefields, but in that direction from Hell Let Loose.  I like the strange assortment of weapons and the small maps full of stuff.  Kind of atmospheric in a slightly cartoonish way. On the maps I've played for Tunisia
(Al Har and the Gorge...I think that's all there is though some kind of "Oasis" map is to be seen on the devblog )  things have been interesting and bloody.  I was even the top player once cuz
I positioned my men for bayonet work inside a house and they did great.  I backed them up with a Thompson from the stairway.  Lots of blood all over.  Fresh is bright red and older blood is
black so you can tell what has just happened in a house.

I played the Moscow campaign for a few months.  I think the Tunisia maps are more my speed.  Let's see -- you get the Grant tank and a motorcycle with a sidecar and a machine gun (mostly useless BUT it does get one engineer and a pair of guys with Thompsons to places pretty fast sometimes)

And what else?  Well I did play Post Scriptum and Hell Let Loose for years and I think I prefer fast and arcady on small maps and having 3-9 people to deploy (and a strange array of weapons as well as mortars, which can be fun).

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 12, 2021, 04:38:01 PM

Here's a more general view of things in Tunisia.  I've stuck my head out of the tank to take this screenshot.  Apparently the Axis side was almost all bots and I think the allies
had maybe 5-6 actual players. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Destraex on September 12, 2021, 02:39:29 AM
Yeah. That sounds good. I might try it. Is it in the War Thunder client?

EDIT: Downloading enlisted now. In the mean time I managed to download war thunder ships again and have a few goes. Still fun but very slow. I notice the have earlier dreadnaughts now.

They revamped the aiming system for naval combat in the last patch and, sad to say, the new system is not good.  It's very clunky, slow to respond, and makes it impossible to lead shots at long range.  It's getting panned hard in the forums but, true to form, the devs are doubling down, digging in, and refusing to admit that it's anything but awesome.

Destraex

Yeah I was wondering what was going on with the strange gamey green circle on the water.