Main Menu

DWARF FORTRESS

Started by renobe, July 29, 2013, 12:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

This is one of those games, like Rimworld, where I really like the idea of the game but don't know how much I would play it. Haven't sunk much time into Rimworld, probably watched other people play more than I have played it. Love the concepts of Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, but I find games that need singular devotion to appreciate I just don't put the time in anymore. I did put over 30 hours into a similar game Gnomoria which I enjoyed. Historically speaking this will probably have no effect on whether or not I buy the game though :uglystupid2:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

^You should work in marketing because now I am interested in this.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

DasTactic has done a ton of vids on this - might be worth checking out to see if it's for you

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Songs of Syx has been applauded as a modern DwarFort for a while -- also a single developer -- and it has an unlimited demo on Steam which gets updated, plus you can actually pay for the early access if you like it. ;) I haven't played the demo yet, but did finally remember to download and install it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1162750/Songs_of_Syx/

Lots of good reviews.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

I've played Dwarf Fortress off and on. I LOVE the Lazy Newb Pack (recommend if you are going to stick with the free version), it includes sprites, text packs, and even music and sounds.  :smitten: The music is awesome and so immersive. Especially this song,  Koganusan "Boatmurdered" it's a LEGEND in Dwarf Fortress as far as the AAR tale it wove, even better: It's included in the Steam release!!

Das has a good tutorial,  if you just want to start digging and making the basic goodies for your mountain halls, etc.  He's good, I learned how to make a bridge gate and he can explain the most headache inducing part of DF - the "Z" axis. Rimworld, Syx, do not have a Z axis. That is your Dwarves can dig down or build structures up. So you have to understand how to dig a stairway or channel, and he does a great job explaining that. So I recommend.

I also recommend Nookrium (he can be a bit..hyper chatty but he does slow down to show to explain things and he has been doing a DF play every Monday). The other one is Kruggsmash. He is a YouTuber who brings Dwarf Fortress to life. He does a great job with using DF to tell stories. I'd recommend him to anyone who wants to see what you can do.

The Steam release will include tutorials from what I heard. Which I think is going to be great.

As to Songs of Syx - Like Dwarf Fortress I have the demo and I'd recommend it. It's fun. Plus the soundtrack is great too!
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

CJReich46

If you want to see how it "changed" from Classic to the Steam version - Das Tactic has a tutorial going through the actual in game tutorial!

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Tanaka

Quote from: -budd- on December 03, 2022, 11:47:20 AM
This is one of those games, like Rimworld, where I really like the idea of the game but don't know how much I would play it. Haven't sunk much time into Rimworld, probably watched other people play more than I have played it. Love the concepts of Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, but I find games that need singular devotion to appreciate I just don't put the time in anymore. I did put over 30 hours into a similar game Gnomoria which I enjoyed. Historically speaking this will probably have no effect on whether or not I buy the game though :uglystupid2:

Same. And I've always put off DF because of the graphics. Now that it is updated and looks decent I will probably pick this one at some point but in no rush to. Same with RimWorld. Will wait for a decent sale on Rim as it is pricier.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tanaka on December 08, 2022, 12:19:23 PM

Same. And I've always put off DF because of the graphics. Now that it is updated and looks decent I will probably pick this one at some point but in no rush to. Same with RimWorld. Will wait for a decent sale on Rim as it is pricier.

Rimworld is something I always want to pick up but never see major sales on it.  Right now it is $27 at Greenmangaming, probably the lowest I have seen it.  Still not sure I'll like it though:)

Victor

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 08, 2022, 12:28:42 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on December 08, 2022, 12:19:23 PM

Rimworld is something I always want to pick up but never see major sales on it.  Right now it is $27 at Greenmangaming, probably the lowest I have seen it.  Still not sure I'll like it though:)

Rimworld is the most accessible out of those I think. You'll see a lot of kids playing it on Youtube for what passes for humor amongst a certain demographic (I butchered these people, skinned them and turned them into a hat, haha...), but the game is customizeable and moddable enough to make it worthwhile for anyone.

I personally hate almost everything about the setting and challenges the game throws at you, but with mods the possibilities are limitless. I have 2 default packs I use:
Medieval/Roman (turns off almost all technology, medicine, weapons, etc) and my biggest challenge is both finding enough food and preserving enough food to last a winter.

Western: Set up my 7th Cav fort and watch the attacks roll in.

ArizonaTank

Very interested in DF...but seems very deep. While I love deep games, I just have so many others in the queue.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Father Ted

I bought it a week or so back - have spent much more time watching tutorials than actually playing.  So far I have only scratched the surface (ha ha), but it does seem very complex in terms of the sheer number of things to keep track of.  It is very sand-boxy in that you have a pretty free rein to create wherever and whatever you like.  This means that the fortress-building aspect is really fun I find.  You are initially pegged back by the survival element (keeping the dwarves fed and happy), but as far as I can gather you go into a Factorio-like state once you overcome the initial hurdles - automating requests and constructing machines.

Gusington

It sounds cool but I fear my feeble brain, already trounced by Knights of Honor 2, would be further pummeled and embarrassed.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SlagDog

I've been playing it quite a bit this past week and I am really enjoying it. Its such an improvement over the text-based iteration. The UI makes sense and the game flow is much easier to follow. This version is so much more accessible and easy to understand. I'm only in the first phase of my fortress but I literally sat down and drew out how my master plan fortress would look on paper before starting. This is helping me keep focus on the master plan while I begin. There are some aspects of the UI menus that are genius in their implementation. I have been having fun screwing up as well. There have been many things that I've built that didn't quite work how I thought they were supposed to but it was fun to see what happened because of my mistakes. Like I had a room for farming that I had to get water to so that the rock would become farmable. I figured that if I cut a canal from a near by pond to the room that it would work. I even put in a floodgate just in case I could not get the water to stop OR drain out of the room. Well by the time I got all that set up and everything in place the damn season changed and the water froze  ;D. So now I have to wait until the spring thaw to see if it will work! I would recommend it to anyone who likes city builder games. It's a super deep game with some really cool mechanics that create a really random and fun environment.

joram

Yeah, I can't stop playing it myself.  Have always heard how fun it was but also couldn't get past the learning curve given the interface.  The steam version, while still having a steep learning curve for some of the advanced stuff, is far easier to get into.   There are videos galore if you need help too.   
I have been keeping an eye on RimWorld as well as I've heard great things but the price seems steep with the add-ons I hear that turn it from a good game to a great game.  DF is already great and am quite happy with the purchase.