Remember when you got these with every game?

Started by CaptainKoloth, July 14, 2022, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2022, 03:27:27 PM
One of the best was the (also ring bound) manual for LucasArts Their Finest Hour.

You guys wouldn't believe what I still have on hand. Should do a group photo...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

88mmkwk

Here's one of my personal fav's.  Love love love this game!  I could not play this enough and never got tired of the ability to both fly the F-22 and also act as airspace controller.  The bound manual was just the icing on the cake.  Still alive after all these years at https://community.combatsim.com/topic/20202-f-22-total-air-war-230-final-released/...

Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

steve58

Don't forget this guy.  Never did master the game, but loved the manual.  Still have it stowed away.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

^That is a beautiful thing.

If anyone knows where I could get a physical copy of the Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe from LucasArts, I am all [digital] ears.

I missed out playing that game (I can't remember why) and have been waiting for a new iteration since then :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2022, 10:52:21 AM
^That is a beautiful thing.

If anyone knows where I could get a physical copy of the Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe from LucasArts, I am all [digital] ears.

I missed out playing that game (I can't remember why) and have been waiting for a new iteration since then :/
I have the manual and code wheel somewhere.  I saw it in the last year as I was making room in my computer desk.  I put it and a bunch of other old game stuff into a box.  No idea where I put the box.  Disks are long gone I think (he says as he stares at the old 3.5" disk box on top of the desk).  Note, my desk hasn't moved in 20 years so who knows what game skeletons I might find if I start moving things.

Gusington

^Or other actual skeletons.

Well if you happen to find it and are willing to sell it let me know!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CaptainKoloth

One nice thing about eBay is that you can find just about every boxed PC game there ever was there. If it's not there, one usually pops up within a few weeks of looking. I've built a pretty large collection of old boxed flight sims off of it.

Gusington

^Good idea. Just checked eBay and there are multiple copies. But I also discovered that the manual is NOT like the Their Finest Hour manual - it's a small rinky-dink black and white manual. Oh well :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2022, 03:21:13 PM
^Good idea. Just checked eBay and there are multiple copies. But I also discovered that the manual is NOT like the Their Finest Hour manual - it's a small rinky-dink black and white manual. Oh well :/
Small? Mine is over 200 pages although it IS B&W.  Copyright 1990!  God I'm old.

Gusington

Me too.

I guess I was expecting it to be a color ring bound behemoth of a manual.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

I don't think anyone who played SWOTL confused it with a serious flight sim.  It was just FUN.  My memory isn't good enough to compare it with the Aces games (Pacific '92/Europe '93) which I also have manuals for.  I do think they had better graphics though.  Not sure I had a flight sim older than SWOTL except for Red Baron.