Explosion in Beirut

Started by Labbug, August 04, 2020, 04:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

That is an amazing picture showing the devastation.  For the people within 200 meters of the blast zone I am assuming will never find any human remains.  They were vaporized.

Regarding the Halifax explosion it lives on in memory in Boston every year.  Boston sent a lot of aid to Halifax immediately after the explosion and every year since then Halifax has donated one of their prime pine trees to be the center piece Christmas tree on Boston common.  Every year the story and the tradition as well as remembrance of why Boston receives a tree from Halifax is repeated on the news channels at the annual Christmas tree lighting - keeps the history alive for all the subsequent generations.

Con

Jarhead0331

There was recently an article on the Halifax explosion in Strategy & Tactics magazine. It was very interesting to read about how it happened and shocking to learn how devastating the blast was. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I think I remember there was at least one example of someone looking out their window near Halifax in 1918 who subsequently went blind when glass shattered from the explosion's impact.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

That would do it.  :o #:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

could have been a lot worse.  that storage/silo building effectively shielded a large part of the local city and directed that blast mostly into the harbor.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Con

Quote from: Gusington on August 05, 2020, 04:29:12 PM
I think I remember there was at least one example of someone looking out their window near Halifax in 1918 who subsequently went blind when glass shattered from the explosion's impact.

There is quite a bit of info on the Halifax explosion but a lot of interesting linkages
1. The method of mass ID'ng the bodies by the local coroner was developed when he was involved in ID'ng the victims from the Titanic
2. Approx 40+ people were permanently blinded - Afterwards Halifax became an internationally recognized center of excellence for treating blind injuries
3. A Boston Surgeon witnessing so many injured children requiring surgery took the skills learned there and developed standard care and surgery for Pediatrics

Gusington

^There you go...terrible stuff.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

NASA has made a map of the blast damage.

On the map, dark red pixels – like those present at and around the Port of Beirut – represent the most severe damage. Areas in orange are moderately damaged and areas in yellow are likely to have sustained somewhat less damage. Each colored pixel represents an area of 33 yards. (Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Earth Observatory of Singapore/ESA)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Labbug

airboy

I've been out of internet coverage for a couple of weeks and caught up on all of my Wall St. Journals.  WSJ had several follow up stories and this one is a farce ending in disaster.

A ship load of ammonium nitrate was ordered and shipped on an old Russian cargo vessel.  Speculation was the stuff was to make truck bombs and IEDs in Iraq and other parts.

The ship pulls into Beirut and was found to be unsafe and had to pay fines and get fixed.

Then the ship got stuck in a bureaucratic maze between Russia and Lebanon.  This went on for more than 5 years with multiple inspections stating that this ship was a floating bomb and the cargo had to be unloaded.  More bureaucratic infighting would ensue after every report.

Then one day - boom!  Ship is gone along with a big section of the port.