Are You a Game Collector?

Started by Pete Dero, February 18, 2020, 10:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

https://www.fanatical.com/en/blog/games-collector

We surveyed over 6,000 people to understand the growing trend of 'Games Collecting'

To find out just how many games you need to own in order to be able to call yourself a 'Games Collector', you may be closer to this exclusive group than you think!

71% of the people we asked consider themselves to be collectors, each owning on average a whopping 931 games!  Considering that the average amount of games owned per person works out to 770 each, most gamers are only 161 games shy of earning the 'Game Collector' status.

Men are closer to earning the title than women, with men on average owning 179 more. However, that's not to say that women aren't serious about their gaming either, 70 of them told us they own over 1,000 games with a few having up to 7,000 in their collection! In fact, 23% of our overall audience claims to have more than 1,000 games, with some boasting an incredible 20,000 Steam & Console games to choose from, which takes a portion of gamers past Collector status to Elite.

jamus34

If you talk about all video games and board games then I'm 99% certain I am a "collector"

It's been my one consistent vice most of my life.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Hi. My name is Jarhead and I'm a game collector.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bobarossa

I think the game collector status is more about the percentage of games that you own that you actually play.  I consider myself a collector.   Over the last few years I think I have played less than half the games I have bought.  Owning a 1000 games says something different to me.  Either too much money or too little self control. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on February 18, 2020, 11:11:41 AM
Either too much money or too little self control.

Neither applies to me, so there goes that theory.  :P
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

If this is strictly pc games then I am not a collector.

Sir Slash

I choose to measure my addiction level not by how many games I own but by how often I ignore life's daily needs to play them. Eating, drinking, sleep, and significant parts of the house falling in are minor interferences with gaming for me. Major would be the house on fire, earthquakes or tsunami warnings, and being held at gunpoint. In those cases I'll finish a game segment, save, then quit playing.

I can vaguely remember my childhood, learning to ride a bike, drive, and getting married but finishing the first Might & Magic, my first Total War moment, and seeing my brave pixeltruppen getting mowed-down in Combat Mission Beyond Overlord are seared into my brain synapses.

I MAY have a problem but since I can't think of any reason to do anything else, I choose to ignore it.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

My word for it is "collector". I am not sure others in my family would agree.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

ArizonaTank

My take-away... I am behind.

Going to need a bigger house with more closet space.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: bobarossa on February 18, 2020, 11:11:41 AM
I think the game collector status is more about the percentage of games that you own that you actually play.

This is a solid point. On more than a few occasions my girlfriend has made the same observation about my hobby.

I could see a future documentary series on TLC called Game Collection: Buried Alive.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

W8taminute

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 18, 2020, 11:35:57 AM
I choose to measure my addiction level not by how many games I own but by how often I ignore life's daily needs to play them. Eating, drinking, sleep, and significant parts of the house falling in are minor interferences with gaming for me. Major would be the house on fire, earthquakes or tsunami warnings, and being held at gunpoint. In those cases I'll finish a game segment, save, then quit playing.

I can vaguely remember my childhood, learning to ride a bike, drive, and getting married but finishing the first Might & Magic, my first Total War moment, and seeing my brave pixeltruppen getting mowed-down in Combat Mission Beyond Overlord are seared into my brain synapses.

I MAY have a problem but since I can't think of any reason to do anything else, I choose to ignore it.  ::)

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well with regards to our hobby.  Well stated Sir!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CJReich46

I'll admit I can be a bit of a game collector.

But I have been slowing down.  I have been more resolving to play more buy less. There are exceptions of course.

But I'm more about not getting the game just to have it. I'm going to get it to play it. Simple as that.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd