Is there an interior designer in the house?

Started by Toonces, June 06, 2018, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

One of my buddies had a similar TV.  It had a good picture.  Was heavy as hell - but it was paid for and had a good picture you could see standing quite far away.

If you bought one today for much money, I would understand the scorn.  But that type of TV held up pretty well as long as you did not need the space or have to move it.

We had a big screen plasma TV that you could heat a large room with.  Technology passed it by and we eventually got rid of the super heavy, hot monster and replaced it with a flat screen.  But it had a very good picture and was paid for.  Mirth would have been better served with the heat generation than I was in Alabama.

Toonces

I bought that TV in 2005; I think it was one of the very last TV's of that type before they got super-thin and super-affordable.

It had a good run.  And, if I had a bit space like that room in RI I would have kept it.  It worked just fine, and playing Madden on it on Xbox was awesome.

But...I hardly watch any TV, and there's not even a hook-up in the new room, and...well, TV's are so affordable now that if I need a TV in the future I'd prefer to just spend the money and get a nice modern flat screen TV.  Now that I'm in the room design phase, I'm glad I don't have to deal with getting rid of it.  It took some convincing to get the movers to take it...for free.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bbmike

Installing drywall isn't too hard but getting the tape and mud sanded and looking good is. I've done it many years and still hate doing it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on February 04, 2019, 06:28:28 AM
Installing drywall isn't too hard but getting the tape and mud sanded and looking good is. I've done it many years and still hate doing it.

This x 100....  :pullhair:

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Moreb

I would stay away from laminate. It is just pressed particle boards and very susceptible to moisture. Currently the trade is moving away from it and towards pvc based floating floors such as Cortex and other cheaper brands. Cortex comes with a cork bottom on several of their products therefore it cannot mold or accept water. You can lay right over your subfloor. The only problem with ANY floating floors, either laminate or otherwise, is that repairing a damaged 'board' can be tedious. If it were me and I was an amateur I would consider a direct glue down vinyl plank. Cheap, easy to install, many colors and very easy to repair. They are put down with a pressure sensitive glue and to repair the amateur can heat the plank up with a hair dryer, pull up the old and the glue will remain tacky to install the new plank.

Of course you would need an underlayment at $10 to $12 dollars an 4X8 sheet and all the seams need to be patched and sanded back down but that is easy. The best way to install it is with a 1/4 inch crown staple but you could ringshank it and patch the nail heads also.

Is the floor over sleepers? Or is there a basement under the space?
When dongles fly? - mirth

Toonces

Thanks Moreb.

I already bought the flooring and it's acclimating in the room.  I went with the click vinyl flooring from Home Depot.  It can go right over top of the existing flooring and it sounds pretty straight-forward to install.  The little placard on it says it's waterproof or resistant.

The flooring underneath is plywood laid upon a concrete slab foundation; no basement.

I actually started painting the room two weeks ago.  My color scheme and flooring changed yet again.  I went with a darker wood color on the floor, gray walls with a dark blue accent wall, and creme white (painter's white is the formal name) for the ceiling.  I'm not entirely pleased with it, but it looks hella better than it did.

I think, once it's all finished and some new furniture is installed, pictures on the wall, etc, etc. it will look acceptable, even if not exactly what I had in mind when I bought the house.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Moreb

You should be good with that. Get a tapping block, a heavy 8 inch long piece of 2x4 works well and make sure the product is up at around a 45 degree angle and tap it gently until it is tight with the board that is down before lowering it. DO NOT TRY TO BRING TOGETHER IF FLAT.  I assume this floor has a tongue and groove system. No matter what the box says, the tongue should be forward. Use a speed square and utility knife and score and snap all end cuts. You should leave a small expansion at the walls. For the end walls and any cuts use a pry bar to bring it in first. If you need to pry with any force, set a piece up against the wall on edge so you dont damage the walls. You can score and snap rips also but I'd use a jig saw with a fine metal blade for any cuts that are not straight.

For best effect, do not try to line up the boards in a pattern yet give at least 6 inches between the two for separation. I always use various length starters to break up the 'stair step' look because those floors have only 1 sized board.

Here are your starter boards:
__

I would stay away from doing this;

__
_
After the first 6 or 7 rows, your end cuts will provide the starters so waste is at a minimum. You can expect around 3% waste for that type of flooring. If you have any questions contact me. I am a flooring installer of 31 years.

Also, don't worry about staying straight from the beginning. I would snap a chalk line say about 30 inches off the wall, put together about 4 rows or so and then straighten out to the line by measuring off the tongue. Starting is the worst part and youll drive yourself crazy trying to keep is straight with just a row down so dont worry about it. If you want a good cut on any rips, take a scrap, cut off the tongue, place the board exactly on top of and in place of the one that is down, put the scrap against the wall and then just mark it. For all the end cuts, set the board in backwards and mark it with the one installed. I hope that makes sense. Youll get a perfect cut.

EDIT: Also youll want to get the ends in first on the plank if they also have a tongue and groove. You do this by going in at an angle too. Again, the tongue should be facing the next ones to be laid.  Get the end tight, lift up the plank and tap it in from the front. Some are drop and lock and will not have the smaller tongue at the groove on the end. Those you just butt, angle the board in like normal and then tap the end seam down with a mallet.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Toonces

^ Good stuff, thanks for checking in!  It's nice knowing a pro is hanging around.  I'll be sure to post up questions once I get started, I'm sure I'll have some.

I've got some travel coming up, so I won't be able to get to this until early April unfortunately.

bbmike

When you get to stocking the bar I'll chime in.  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Toonces

^ Ummm, there's a bottle of Jim Beam in here at all times.  Floor might be plywood, furniture covered in plastic, but there will always be room for some bourbon.    ^-^

Toonces

'sup fellow Grogs.

I wanted to give you all some closure on this project.  It was funny reading the whole thread again from the beginning.  I had a mini-heart attack when I read the post by Moreb that said not to use vinyl plank flooring since that's what I ended up using.

I took the last two weeks off and unfortunately spent most of it working on that damn room (along with a number of other house projects).  Last night I essentially finished the room...call it an 85% solution.  I still have some small things to do like replace two of the ceiling beams and finish the ceiling lighting. 

We went with a dark gray laminate vinyl floor, light gray walls, and a white ceiling.  One wall has a green/blue color.  On Tuesday we went to Ikea.  I intended to get their cheap pressboard bookcases (the 'Billy') but seeing it in person again we ended up paying more and getting the wood/pine bookcases (the 'Hemnes').  Now that they're in the room I'm very, very happy I paid the premium to get the real wood.  They look pretty good.

The really unfortunate part is that I got to the very end of the floor and I was exactly 1.5 planks short of finishing the entire floor!  I can't believe I didn't order an extra box of flooring just in case.  So I had to order another box and it should be here next week or maybe this weekend.  The upshot is that I can't put books into two of the bookcases because the floor isn't done!   >:(  I filled the rest of them though and, again, it looks acceptable.

Installing the flooring just sucked.  There is no way around it, and Moreb you have my respect because that was a physically painful and mentally frustrating project.  But, I don't know how, but it came out ok for someone who's never done it.  There was a bit of a learning curve LOL.

I'll get some pics later so you guys can see the end result.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

LOL, I'm bumping my own thread from almost exactly a year ago.

So I'm way overdue to post up some pictures.  Today I finally did some badly needed re-arranging of the room, including moving the Obutto cockpit to a new location to see if I could make it work.

I couldn't. 

So with a heavy heart, I broke it down and stored it away for eventual sale on Craigslist.  Built the final bookcase.  My wife picked up some coverings for the futon couch and some accent pillows so the couch will match the rest of the room.  Right now it just has some comforter with flowers we had laying around.

Once I get the futon made up and the books sorted onto the new bookcase, I'll snap some pics so you can see how it all turned out.  With the Obutto gone, I now have room for a reading chair and an aquarium.  That's in the future though.  For now, enough is enough. 

I think you guys will like what I did with it.