Main Menu

Dragon's Dogma RPG

Started by W.S. Hancock, June 03, 2012, 12:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.S. Hancock

Question for anyone about this game I am thinking about picking up.

First, is it any good as an RPG?

Second, does your success on combat/spellcasting depend on the speed of your reflexes, twitch, and ability to memorize keypad combos, or is it more like Skyrim where you need only remember a few buttons to hack and slash away?

Thanks

Tpek

I've yet to even hear of this game until now.
Will look it up.

EDIT: No wonder... this is a Console game not a PC game.
This thread should be in the Console Gaming forum.

W.S. Hancock

Sorry, my bad, forgot that this site has a separate forum for console stuff.

Yes, I think it is a new game, saw it in Best Buy the other day, took a quick look at the strategy guide and it seemed to have a really large number of weapons, traits, skills, etc

Grimnirsson

QuoteFirst, is it any good as an RPG?

It's great :)

QuoteSecond, does your success on combat/spellcasting depend on the speed of your reflexes, twitch, and ability to memorize keypad combos, or is it more like Skyrim where you need only remember a few buttons to hack and slash away?

It's real time combat, yes, but very intuitive with cool combos that don't make you twist your fingers. It has the best real time combat of any game of that sort I ever played, it just feels right...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

renington

I don't actually got the game but I watched some youtube videos and it seems to work pretty well on xbox and the controls should be too awkward.

Grimnirsson

I suppose you mean 'shouldn't be too awkward' ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Yskonyn

A little late to the party, but how are things now? Did you end up getting it?
Is it indeed good?
From what I see it has very much a 'Dark Souls' feel to is, at least style wise. As this is one of the best games I've played, does Dragon's Dogma rate up to that title well?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grimnirsson

It's not as hard and unforgiving as Dark Souls, but it manages to create a unique world and a convincing one. Dragons Dogma is worth playing if you like DS, but not for the same reasons. What it does have in common though is a great tactical combat style, you can actually control what happens to you and usually any death is your own fault. Go get it, you won't regret it :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Yskonyn

A friend of mine has it, or so I just found out.
Perfect way to go and see if I would like it, but from what I've been seeing so far I think I would like it immensely.
One of the complaints, though, is that there is little story in it, especially for an RPG. What do you think of this claim?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grimnirsson

It has enough story to make me interested in the game as such, it's not story driven or centered, that's true, but it shines in combat, level upgrades and the sort of multiplayer. DS doesn't have much of a strong story either and it is an adventure like nothing else out there...Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls are two of the best games I've ever played, worth your time and money - it's that simple :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Yskonyn

Thanks, Grimnirsson!
I am surely going to write this on my 'want' list. :thumbup:

Grimnirsson

We are even now Ys...(*looking forward to start Armada 2526*)   ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de