Warhammer

Started by Toonces, February 08, 2012, 12:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Hello all.

I am, quite obviously, completely late to the table with respect to the Warhammer series of games.  However, some research I was doing last night on some miniature gaming led me to the Warhammer series of rules.

Specifically, I am interested in the Warhammer Historical series- ancients to be exact.  I had no idea such a thing existed.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the various miniatures rules there are for ancients to medieval gaming.  Field of Glory seems to be popular as well as Warhammer.

I'm more interested in gaming at the individual soldier level rather than the army level...you know, maybe like a dozen people on each side.

Any thoughts on Warhammer for this type of gaming? 

Even more important, any good ideas of where to get Warhammer products?!  I'm having a lot of trouble finding an online retailer of Warhammer Historical stuff.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

I'm not very familiar with the Warhammer historical games, but the little I've heard was generally positive.

As for places to buy - Games Workshop (parent company) has very strict rules governing the use of their stuff. For some crazy reason you can't post pictures of their products on your website. However, you *can* sell their stuff. You just can't make it look good.

A lot of companies won't mess with the hassle, but there are a few which do sell Games Workshop's products - and at a steep discount. The one I'm most familiar with is Miniature Market. They're good folks. If you tell them what you want via email, they'll make it happen. http://www.miniaturemarket.com/home

Specific GW link: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/games-workshop.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jack Nastyface

I am almost certain that Field of Glory and the Warhammer Ancients are both larger scale wargames.  If you are looking for something mano-a-mano, you MAY want to look at Warhammer Gladiator (more of a subset of the particular melieu you are interested in).

Ganesha Games (ganeshagames.net) have a soon-to-be released title called "Song of Spears and Shields" which focuses on skirmish-level ancients.  Some of their other titles have been relatively well received by the mini-gaming community, so this might be worth a look.

Mini-maker Grippingbeast have a rule-set called Saga which focuses more on the mid-to late medieval period (Vikings, etc) but I believe they may have an ancients supplement coming out soon.

Although the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game is intended for skirmish battles with Middle Earth units, it could readily be adapted to an ancients melieu.  Made by the good people at Gamers Workshop...

There are of course lots of free rules available at freewargamerules.com(?)

Yours in gaming...

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

bayonetbrant

www.gamersarmory.com carries the stuff, and will ship it to you, but GW won't let the advertise on the web, so you have to find what you want, then call Scott to get pricing and have him ship it to you.

Just another way GW has to make life hard for people.  But they're still making money, so let 'em.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

Hey guys,
Thanks for the help.  The WH Gladiators is actually the game I'm looking for- I assumed you had to have the core rules to play the Gladiator game.

Now I understand why it has been so frustrating to find WH games on online retailers' websites.  I certainly can't understand that from a marketing perspective, but I guess it's a good idea to somebody smarter than me.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on February 08, 2012, 01:56:18 PM
I certainly can't understand that from a marketing perspective, but I guess it's a good idea to somebody smarter than me.

You are not alone in questioning the intelligence of that marketing strategy.

I believe it is because they are trying to fix the price of their minis. They have retail stores all over the globe that sell these at full retail. Online stores discount them heavily - so creating complex vendor agreements that make it difficult, but not impossible, to sell discourage too much competition.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jack Nastyface

Some pages of Gladiator found here:
http://warhammer-historical.com/Aspreads/gladiator.html

You may also want to check out Red Sand, Blue Sky by Two Hour Games..
http://www.twohourwargames.com/redsandbluesky.html
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Toonces

Thanks, Jack.  I found a good geeklist last night on boardgamegeek that had a whole slew of Gladiator games, many of which are free.  That one you mentioned was one of them. 

I think I'll try out one of the free rulesets first, just to see if it grabs me before I invest in the whole Warhammer thing.

Jack Nastyface

You may also want to check out the free, redone version of the classic man-to-man fighting game, Melee, originally published by Metagames.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50323/kwanchais-melee-redesign

Although the rules are NOT gladiator specific (ie: no retiarius or murmillo) you could probably adapt.

I think Melee Advanced had a longer list of weapons that would better reflect gladiatoral weapons (cestus, etc).

If you use maps, check out Hotzartworks for some nice gladitorial ring hex maps.