2018 Running Baseball Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2018, 11:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Pitchers and catchers report in a month, and a bunch of big free agents are still on the sidelines

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-baseballs-economic-system-might-broken-224638354.html
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on January 30, 2018, 03:23:35 PM
I was hoping the Indians would switch to this

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/bomani-jones-wore-a-cleveland-caucasians-t-shirt-on-espn

HA

That's awesome. I'm not offended at all so it kinda loses any punch. What'd they think, I was going to cry and listen to my Tito Puente albums until two in the morning?

bayonetbrant

we doing a fantasy baseball league again?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on February 13, 2018, 06:04:57 PM
I nominate MD as commissioner.

Need a reason to bitch at him about something
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on February 13, 2018, 06:08:22 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 13, 2018, 06:04:57 PM
I nominate MD as commissioner.

Did a reason to bitch at him about something

The only reason mirth needs is being mirth.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

It's going to be a long season for the Royals.

MetalDog

Yuppers.  Vargas signed with the Mets and Hosmer with the Padres.

Bison

Yup.  It was inevitable that the team would be broken up and reserve its place at the bottom of the division. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on February 20, 2018, 07:03:15 AM
Yup.  It was inevitable that the team would be broken up and reserve its place at the bottom of the division. 

Was KC willing to overpay to keep them together?  Other teams were willing to overpay for KC's free agents b/c they'd been losing so much for so long...

Bison

KC ownership stated they were trying to cut the payroll to around $110 million this season.  That pretty much excluded signing any of their free agents. 

MetalDog

Vargas is a middle of the rotation starter at best.  He may be ok in New York.  It's a pitchers park and there's no DH.  Hosmer kind of smarts, but, last year was a career year for him.  AND he played in all 162 games.  San Diego is a pitchers park, too, but, coming from KC, Hosmer should be used to it. 

Very few teams have the ability to upgrade on the fly.  For the rest, winning and losing is cyclical.  And when you owner is mandating fiscal responsibility over winning, it's tough.