Dominions 3 MP game [Running]

Started by Yskonyn, February 21, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

That's interesting; I didn't realise that size is a factor.  I guess it's one "opportunity" for a hit per unit in the square, so a size 3 creature, for example, would be rolled 3 times to check for a hit?

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 30, 2013, 03:32:06 AM
That's interesting; I didn't realise that size is a factor.  I guess it's one "opportunity" for a hit per unit in the square, so a size 3 creature, for example, would be rolled 3 times to check for a hit?

ill tell you what Huw, ill send over 10 elephants and see how you get on?!

undercovergeek

aaaaaargh!!!! my troops can move 2?? why am i only finding this out now - razzn frazzn grrrrrzl

JasonPratt

Strategic troop movement only really applies within secure territories, btw. I can't run a bunch of strat3 troops across two provinces and into battle, for example.

(... ......... not that I've tried...)

Obviously there are spells and special abilities which negate this limitation.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

I've been shifting mages a province at a time only to find they can move 2 - no great loss but I could have site searched quicker

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 30, 2013, 08:34:52 AM
Strategic troop movement only really applies within secure territories, btw. I can't run a bunch of strat3 troops across two provinces and into battle, for example.

(... ......... not that I've tried...)

Obviously there are spells and special abilities which negate this limitation.

first magic goal reached - now slowly sinking under the weight of forging options!!!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 30, 2013, 05:22:21 AM
ill tell you what Huw, ill send over 10 elephants and see how you get on?!

Thanks!  Give me an address to mail the tusks back to you!

Phobos

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 30, 2013, 03:32:06 AM

I don't know how trample works exactly.

I do know it is a special attack related to movement.  So a trampling creature will move adjacent to an enemy, then start making trample attacks, with the number of attacks determined by how fast the creature normally is.  I don't know if/how spells like haste or quickness effect trampling.

This means something like an unarmoured mammoth can make more trample attacks than a heavily armoured minotaur.

Bigger creatures do more trampling damage.  The damage seems to be reduced in part by armour, but I don't think shields offer any protection.  I am not sure if the size difference effects damage (so I don't know if a size 4 Chariot will take less base damage than a size 1 goblin, from a charging elephant).

Trampling effects all units in a square that are smaller than the trampler.  So an elephant can trample cavalry, but a minotaur can not.  So a minotaur will just make normal attacks if their trample is 'blocked' by a single horseman.  There seems to be some kind of defence test in play, that allows units to avoid the heavy damage from trampling, so units with a good defence score should be able to slow down a trampler.  Due to the way defence tests work, high defence probably loses effectiveness against a fast moving trampler, or a large number of tramplers.

Honestly, if you are facing off against a dozen elephants, you should probably take Nefaro's advice and invest in a lot of archers.  The most I have had to deal with in a game is 4 elephants, in an independant province.  I have seen what a couple of dozen minotaurs can do to a regular army, so a large number of elephants with magical support is a threat you will have to plan for, if you hope to stop them.   

Ubercat

Remember guys, if you're the last person to take your turn, you can take the next one a minute later after the server processes it.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 30, 2013, 07:38:47 AM
aaaaaargh!!!! my troops can move 2?? why am i only finding this out now - razzn frazzn grrrrrzl

It doesn't often work out that way, however, since anything besides wide open plain will stop you from moving further than 1 in a turn.  Along with only being able to attack 1 away, too, as mentioned. 

Now.. flying ones?  They can move over such crap terrain and get full use of their movement speed.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

undercovergeek

JasonPratt

No, I don't think WW1Gold actually allows treacherOH, YOU MEAN IN THIS GAME!

;D

...doesn't treachery involve breaking oaths or promises or something? Because I'm quite sure I never allied with you at any time.

(Also worth noting that I didn't pick on someone weak. As your expeditionary force quite handily proved.  8) )