Combat Mission: Cold War

Started by IICptMillerII, February 15, 2021, 11:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IICptMillerII

Jarhead0331

I knew a big announcement was coming. Let's hope we won't have too long to wait.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Hmm.  New module for SF2/Black Sea?  Or a new game altogether?  Maybe Combat Mission: 1984 with a cameo by Gal Gadot?   :D
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 15, 2021, 11:16:47 PM
Hmm.  New module for SF2/Black Sea?  Or a new game altogether?  Maybe Combat Mission: 1984 with a cameo by Gal Gadot?   :D

My hunch is totally new series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

A Combat Mission: Yom Kippur War would be to die for.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Michael Dorosh

Classic BFC. After a long period of dormancy they finally announce pre-orders on the long-promised Eastern Front module and then without actually releasing anything they throw out this random teaser into the ether with stuff completely out of left field.

Like, just tell us what you're working on and when we might expect to have it. That's really all people want to know.

Having just sent in my money for the East Front module preorder, this really just says to me that module was never the priority.

The smart play would have been to release Fire and Rubble first, IMO.

Unless this is just a distraction around another delay to Fire and Rubble.

Elvis

Hi mom.

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Zulu1966

Looks like cluster munitions in the picture. DIPCM - from later posts this is definitely CM Cold war.

Still not to get too excited - it'll be 2 years at least before we see anything. Unless this is a partnership with Matrix and they have extra resources to throw at it.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Redwolf

Apparently it is 1979-1982 around and including the Fulda Gap.

It says US, but I hope we can rummage around in Leopards at least with the first module.

Instant buy for me.

Jarhead0331

Tuesday February 16th, Slitherine will show the game for the first time during a special Twitch Live: https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup

Looks like it is at 12:00pm EST.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Zulu1966 on February 16, 2021, 04:38:59 AM
1985 central front. That would be a dream.

It opens the door to a lot of possibilities - especially once the West Germans, Canadian, Brits and French are included. Which we all know will be spread out over a couple of modules. Would also be nice to see East Germans, Czechs, Poles and whomever else is in the lineup in the east.

Would be fun to see the Operation Flashpoint islands done in CM form - I doubt BFC could do it without running into IP problems, but I am sure there are bright boys in the community thinking about it as we speak.

The Canadian Army had a training manual which was more novel than training guide, with distinct scenarios that would be a perfect source for Canadian content. Unless BFC has really missed the boat, they're probably looking at that as well.

Lots of potential content, but the stuff that people really want to see - Team Yankee, etc. - probably belongs to someone else as far as IP goes.

Elvis

Here are our pages for the game:

https://www.battlefront.com/cold-war/cmcw-base-game/

Expected release in April 2021. Yes, it is that far along.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog