Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Alright, lemme look into this.  Iceman's AI seems too lite to make buying it for the RIO spot not worth it.  But if I have a good driver, I'm in.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Redwolf

Is the F-14 more fun than the F-16?

Not that I "need" more planes in the first place...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on February 06, 2021, 10:40:22 AM

The F-16 is pretty early access and very system incomplete. The Tomcat is one of the most highly polished modules, on the other hand. That being said, it really depends on what you're looking for? Carrier ops? CAS/strike? A2A? That should really guide your decision I think.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: Redwolf on February 06, 2021, 10:40:22 AM

Pure flying? Yes, most definitely! The F-16 is fully fly by wire and feels very electronic in DCS as well (great sim I guess! ;-) ), while the F-14 is very much alive and a challenge to fly on its limits.

But more nuanced; as JH said, the F-16 is still early access and misses a lot of capability, but once its complete it will be an awesome multi-role aircraft.
The Tomcat can also be deployed as a multi-role asset of a previous generation compared to the Viper, but it features carrier ops. Of course it was designed to be an intercepter and fleet defender rather than a bomber, but it *can* do it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mikeck

Both the mig-21 and the F-14 require actual piloting. They are both amazing and difficult. Both will kill you although the mig 21 actually WANTS to kill you. But if you enjoy having to learn to fly an aircraft...f-14 is for you
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

hellfish6

Does anyone know how to turn DCS offline mode off? I've got offline enabled on my laptop and I was to transfer the authorization to my new gaming rig... and I can't find the toggle for it and google came up with no help. The antenna button I used to turn on offline mode a while back isn't there anymore. None of the settings menus seem to have a tick box (unless it's buried in there and I'm totally missing it).

Pete Dero

Quote from: hellfish6 on February 07, 2021, 10:22:56 AM
Does anyone know how to turn DCS offline mode off? I've got offline enabled on my laptop and I was to transfer the authorization to my new gaming rig... and I can't find the toggle for it and google came up with no help. The antenna button I used to turn on offline mode a while back isn't there anymore. None of the settings menus seem to have a tick box (unless it's buried in there and I'm totally missing it).

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/177193-offline-mode-251-and-beyond

The new OFFLINE mode is now implemented (In version 2.5.1 and higher). Users can turn on the OFFLINE mode which permits the game to be used without internet identification and without a time limit. Note: users must turn off the OFFLINE mode on the same PC. OFFLINE mode cannot be turned off from another PC even with the same user login.

To transfer DCS to offline mode, click on the button in the top panel of the main menu. This can be done ONLY after successful authorization. You cannot enable Offline mode unless you have an internet connection first.

The mode is unlimited in time, thus all network services (Manager of Modules, multiplayer, news) will be inaccessible.

Exiting offline mode is possible only on the same computer* on which Offline mode was entered, it cannot be transferred to another computer.

* "the same computer" - means exactly the same both in hardware and in BIOS, Windows. For example, changing the BIOS in offline mode will no longer allow you to log in.

hellfish6

Yeah, I got that. I just can't figure out how to turn offline mode off on my laptop. I can log in just fine on it. I figured out last night I couldn't log in on the new computer because I can't even launch it from there.

Jarhead0331

The beta version of 2.0 for the Community A-4E mod has been released!

Added

EFM
        Realistic Flight Dynamics (it's pretty nifty)
        Realistic Suspension
        Differential Brakes
        Nose wheel steering
        Realistic Engine Simulation
        Realistic force based slat simulation
        Damage to engine and aerodynamic surfaces (physically simulated only)
        Cockpit shake effect
        Wing vapour effect
        Compatibility with regular carrier
        Carrier hook up keybind (Ship Takeoff Position)
        Basic compatibility with Supercarrier
        Added Salute option to radio menu
        Added Request Launch option to radio menu

Sounds
        Gear door
        Gear locking
        Gear hydraulic
        Flap stop
        Flap hydraulic
        Slat stop
        Gear airflow
        Flap airflow
        Speedbrake airflow
        Spoiler airflow
        Cockpit rattle at high AOA

Avionics
        CP-741/A Bombing computer
        Yaw damper (stab aug switch on AFCS panel)
        ILS Navigation (see kneeboard pages for presets)
        Enabled Radio (see kneeboard pages for presets)

Basic support for FFB joysticks

Changed

Added Argentina/ARG to countries and assigned appropriate livery
    Re-wrote AFCS for EFM integration

Deprecated

SFM Fake afterburner
    Everything on the special menu, except cockpit shake

Removed

SFM Carrier Launch Mechanism

Fixed

Hook clickable
    Flap blowback valve
    Carrier Launch Mechanism present on runways (see removed)
    Carrier trap from airstart causes explosion
    Aircraft drift during carrier operations

https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/releases/tag/v2.0.0-beta-1
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

I assume that the A-4 is a mod based on an FC3 airframe and is not an interactive cockpit?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on February 10, 2021, 09:11:30 PM
I assume that the A-4 is a mod based on an FC3 airframe and is not an interactive cockpit?

You assume wrong. Fully clickable cockpit. The mod is fantastic. It is of the level of paid DLC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SlagDog

Wow, I'll show my ignorance here but I had no idea that players could use non-paid mods within DCS. That is really cool. I might, just maybe spend some time in DCS. Other than the A-4, is there a site to find a list of all of the other non-paid aircraft mods??? That would be amazing! Thanks!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SlagDog on February 11, 2021, 10:58:47 AM
Wow, I'll show my ignorance here but I had no idea that players could use non-paid mods within DCS. That is really cool. I might, just maybe spend some time in DCS. Other than the A-4, is there a site to find a list of all of the other non-paid aircraft mods??? That would be amazing! Thanks!

Most of them are in the user files on the DCS website or linked through the DCS forum in the mod section. The Community A-4E is in a league of its own. You won't really find anything else as far as aircraft modules go that come close to it in terms of quality and fidelity.

Some of the more popular and unique ones are as follows:

MB339A - https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/209209-mb-339apan-by-frecce-tricolori-virtuali-new-version/

Mig-23UB - https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/198313-mig-23-ub/

SU-57 Felon - https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2539621/

C-130J - https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/252075-dcs-super-hercules-mod-by-anubis/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Wow. I had no idea anyone could even mod a high-fidelity plane! Never been an A4 fan but we do need a gen 2 blue aircraft

Redwolf

In other news, sale is on on Steam. Usual 50% off for many planes and maps.

Resisting both the F-16 and the F-14 so far...