Valve to make Announcement

Started by MIGMaster, September 17, 2013, 10:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

Mr. Bigglesworth

"So far, it is not clear whether Valve plans to release its own hardware or produce specifications for a device that others will make to bring about what Nr Newell called a "grand unification" of mobile, desktop and living room gaming.
"Right now, you're sort of in this bizarre situation where as soon as you sit on your couch, you're supposed to have lost connection with all of your other computing platforms," he said. "We really don't think the fragmentation around the physical location or around the input devices in terms of computation is necessary or desirable for software developers or consumers."

You might want to move this to general gaming as it seems to be mostly about a linux system that will let people play on anything not just a console.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

This whole thing has me really intriqued.... I was looking pretty hard at the Alienware Linux gaming rig, but it isn't avilable in Canada yet - just the US. I know it will limit the number of games available, but if Valve is wiling to put some capital into it there is some level of temptation for me. I like jumping onboard with new things like this - unfortunately the success rate isn't great. I've always used AMD chips, starting back in the 486 days, I bought a STM Kyro processor based video cards back in the AGP bus days and have always had a desire to follow the tech road least followed. Will a Linux gaming rig be next ? Or will a get that ride to Mars before that happens!  ;)

jomni

Revealed!  12 Manufacturers will make hardware so there is a choice for the consumer on what to get and with what features (just like a mobile phone).
So there is no one Valve-branded hardware. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/06/12-of-valves-steam-machine-partners-unveiled/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/01/06/liveblog-valves-ces-2014-steam-machine-press-conference/