Combat Mission: Red Thunder - Fire and Rubble

Started by al_infierno, February 22, 2020, 11:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

hellfish6

If I hadn't read your description above, I'd have never known it included Berlin. Not a very good article when it spends more time heaping praise ("It is looking good, and please Battlefront keep your excellent games and modules coming!") and personal commentary ("Red Thunder is one of my favorite of the Combat Mission stable of games, and I am very happy to see that it is finally getting some love.") on something without even detailing what exactly that something is.

That said, CM is still the standard for WWII tactical gaming for me, so it's a pre-order.

Destraex

I have most of the modules for combat mission. I just never get around to playing them.
Because the options I want - the social ones - are not their. I will really have to hold myself back from getting this.
Unless I can find somebody in the right time zone that will play regularly enough. Other things I would like is a strategic map that allows you to move units so that battle have context. The canned campaigns don't do it for me. Also when are we going to get briefings that I can read on my monitor without a magnifying glass?

Steel Division II is a bit less of a sim and is not so tactical. But does the job for me in this area. Eastern Front late era.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

Not exactly an awe-inspiring title, sounds more like the name of a use-made mod. Or the aftermath of a Rock Concert. A really GOOD Rock Concert.  \m/
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 23, 2020, 03:27:25 PM
Not exactly an awe-inspiring title, sounds more like the name of a use-made mod. Or the aftermath of a Rock Concert. A really GOOD Rock Concert.  \m/

That was my thought too, to be honest.  I would have liked "Bagration to Berlin" or something else that calls back memories of the old CM titles.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Michael Dorosh

Well to be fair I think the point of that article was to show the latest artwork. I am sure the BFC forumites are jumping for joy over the addition of wrecked automobile doodads, which is probably a first for the series. The concrete archway seems to be something new as well, and the other doodads like the Prussian statue or the circular notice board do have an east German flair about them.

But if they don't bother to put the Reichstag or the Brandenburg Gate in there, it ain't really gonna be Berlin. Panzer Command had it right, with historical building models like the central railway station in Stalingrad.

Elvis

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 23, 2020, 03:27:25 PM

The original title was Red Hammer. When I initially posted the screenshots that are in Robert's blog they even had red Hammer logo's. Because of possible copyright infringements we changed it.

Also, when I posted them on the Battlefront forum I posted them without comment. I was trying to create a mood...a feel. And only the final shot contained any units/action.

benpark has created a massive Master Map of Berlin. Some of the scenario designers are using chucks of it for maps for their battles.

I posted this screenshot the other day .....mostly because I thought it was a very cool picture.  :)

Elvis

And here are some that show some module specific stuff.

Sir Slash

Those are very pretty Elvis and I'm looking forward to the new stuff included, I only meant the title was hard to get excited about or tell anything about when the mod is set or what battles are included. I suppose a lot of titles that could be used ARE copy right protected. Any ideas on when it'll be available?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Elvis

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 07, 2020, 11:41:57 AM
Those are very pretty Elvis and I'm looking forward to the new stuff included, I only meant the title was hard to get excited about or tell anything about when the mod is set or what battles are included. I suppose a lot of titles that could be used ARE copy right protected. Any ideas on when it'll be available?

Oh yeah, I understood what you meant. Heck, I go back and forth on it myself and I had a vote in the matter. And you are 100% correct...It started to feel like each time we came up with another title we liked a Google search let us know we had to keep digging.  :)

Destraex

Why not just add Berlin to the front of the title.
"Berlin, Fire and Rubble". That at least gives a little context.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tripoli

Possibly "Gotterdammerung"? or "Fire and Rubble: Gotterdammerung?" 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Philippe

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Sir Slash

Combat Mission: Still Not In The Pacific?  :P

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd