What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: Millipede on September 04, 2022, 09:50:33 AM
I'm trying to recall which Shuttle launch was delayed by a fuel leak... enlighten me please.

slight variation of Cunningham's Law  :clap:
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: steve58 on September 26, 2022, 10:21:38 AM
DART mission website:  https://dart.jhuapl.edu/Mission/index.php

Impact at 7:14pm EDT tonight

Looking forward to this.

This one relatively obscure NASA mission may prove the technology that will save the whole damn world someday.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

steve58

steve58

View of impact from an earth-bound telescope.  Clearer views should be forth coming from the LICIACube, Hubble and JWST.

https://twitter.com/fallingstarIfA/status/1574583529731670021

https://twitter.com/astrosnapper/status/1574578176214196225

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Pete Dero

https://www.space.com/nasa-spacex-possible-dragon-mission-hubble-space-telescope

SpaceX and NASA might team up to save the Hubble Space Telescope.

A new service mission to lift the aging telescope, repair failing parts, and upgrade old ones could add 20 years to its lifespan.

The idea would be to send SpaceX's Crew Dragon spacecraft to the Hubble in order to boost it from its current 332 mile altitude orbit, to the 372 mile altitude it was originally stationed at when it was launched 1990.
The study will look at the economic feasibility of such a mission, and explore whether or not the two parties could conduct a service mission to upgrade and repair the Hubble as well.

steve58

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 30, 2022, 01:30:03 PM
https://www.space.com/nasa-spacex-possible-dragon-mission-hubble-space-telescope

SpaceX and NASA might team up to save the Hubble Space Telescope.

A new service mission to lift the aging telescope, repair failing parts, and upgrade old ones could add 20 years to its lifespan.

The idea would be to send SpaceX's Crew Dragon spacecraft to the Hubble in order to boost it from its current 332 mile altitude orbit, to the 372 mile altitude it was originally stationed at when it was launched 1990.
The study will look at the economic feasibility of such a mission, and explore whether or not the two parties could conduct a service mission to upgrade and repair the Hubble as well.

That would be great!

GDS_Starfury

it aint like the Hubble cant perform anymore!

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 30, 2022, 05:51:17 PM
it aint like the Hubble cant perform anymore!

+1

All the more reason to try to keep it around a bit lot longer...

steve58

Sir Slash

So they turned an asteroid into a comet. At least it's prettier now.