What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Is that what that was? I thought it was the Cowboys season going down the drain.  :hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Windigo

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 14, 2020, 10:54:09 AM
Is that what that was? I thought it was the Cowboys season going down the drain.  :hug:

Election integrity in the USA?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

That looked more like YO MAMA's hairpiece.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Windy had a Momma?  :o  I thought you all told me he was a product of Spontaneous Combustion? Now I don't know what to believe.  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

NASA to reveal Moon 'new discovery' Monday.

p.s.  never knew NASA had a flying 100-inch telescope (SOFIA)!  :o  How the heck do they manage to keep an airborne 747 stable enough for a telescope?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

Have they FINALLY found Jimmy Hoffa you think?  :o

Pete Dero

Quote from: steve58 on October 23, 2020, 01:36:36 PM
How the heck do they manage to keep an airborne 747 stable enough for a telescope?

You don't stabilize the 747 but you stabilize the telescope :

https://www.sofia.usra.edu/multimedia/about-sofia/faqs#T3

You isolate the telescope from the airplane by mounting it on a spherical pressurized oil bearing. The plane shakes and quakes, but the telescope doesn't feel it. Second, you direct the wind away from the telescope by shaping the side of the airplane so as to deflect it, and install a little deflector fence on the edge of the telescope cavity as well. Third, you stabilize the telescope against sudden motion (wind does get through) by spinning three orthogonal gyroscopes which are rigidly attached to the structure, and fourth, you steer the telescope so as to keep it steady, by tracking a distant star and giving the telescope magnetical nudges to point it toward a fixed direction.

https://www.sofia.usra.edu/multimedia/about-sofia/faqs#top

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Gusington

Whatever you say Pete. But since that hasn't happened yet and probably won't in our great grandkids' lifetime, I like the above posted solution.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd