What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Jesus you sound like my Grandpa. Are you my Grandpa?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jack Nastyface

Just finished reading "A Dawn Like Thunder" - the true story of Torpedo 8.  Details the experience of the T8 pilots and crew who flew devastators and avengers versus the Japanese at Midway and later from Guadalcanal.  Excellent read...and thinking of doing a mini-review for this site.

Prior to this, also read Thunder Run.  A very compelling read albeit makes one wonder about the carnage wrought upon the Iraqi's, basically at their own behest.

Currently reading "Seize the Fire" which is so far providing a highly Pro-Nelsonian view of the Battle of Trafalgar.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on March 05, 2012, 01:27:50 PM
At Bison's recommendation I'm reading Steven Saylor's series of a Roman detective, starting with Roman Blood. Put it down to historical fiction, it's good stuff.

Glad to see you are enjoying the series too.  They are a great light, quick read.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on March 07, 2012, 03:10:40 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 05, 2012, 01:27:50 PM
At Bison's recommendation I'm reading Steven Saylor's series of a Roman detective, starting with Roman Blood. Put it down to historical fiction, it's good stuff.

Glad to see you are enjoying the series too.  They are a great light, quick read.

Yeah, they're a good way to unwind in the evening.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

I am reading this thread.  Ok, I can't lie, I've skimmed it.  ;)
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 07, 2012, 03:46:18 PM
I am reading this thread.  Ok, I can't lie, I've skimmed it.  ;)

Next thing we know you'll be bragging about your French ties.

MIGMaster

Yes Gus ,

It's true  I'm your Dark Grandpa

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Bayonet_Chris

I'm in the middle of a couple of things and I have some books in a queue (eBook) for my upcoming trip to Hong Kong and China.

When Christ and His Saints Slept (Sharon Kay Penman)
Conan of Cimmeria (Robert E. Howard)
The Hunger Games Trilogy (Suzanne Collins)
Leopard Moon (a friend of mine, Jeanette Battista, wrote this)

I'm not sure if I have anything lined up after that.

Martok

Am taking a small break from the Hornblower books to read Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent.  I only read it once before about 15 years ago, so it'll be interesting to see how much I enjoy it after all this time. 

Quote from: Bayonet_Chris on March 08, 2012, 05:15:58 PM
I'd be curious to hear your take on these two. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Hunger Games is the new Harry Potter.

My kids read it. Then my wife read it. Then my wife started loaning our copies out to friends for them to read - much to the aggravation of our kids as they are trying to re-read the books (multiple times to get all the facts in their heads straight) before the movie comes out in two weeks.

I have heard nothing but praise for Hunger Games. I'm avoiding them right now principally because I'm a grumpy grog with too little time to assemble and paint minis and I already have plenty of guilty pleasures.

TheCommandTent

My wife read them, and then made me read them.  They are quick easy reads as they are targeted to the teen demographic.  The first and second books were alright but there third I did not care for.

The concept and setting of the book, a post-apocalyptic former America was very interesting and had potential.  I even liked the idea of the 'Hunger Games' themselves.  However, the tween drama was a bit ridiculous especially in the second and third book.  There is some criticism of the books being a rip off of the novel 'Battle Royal' but the author claims to never have heard of it before writing the Hunger Games.

In the end if you read them or see the movie you probably can count that as family time and being a good Dad. :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on March 09, 2012, 10:05:00 AM
In the end if you read them or see the movie you probably can count that as family time and being a good Dad. :)

One of the reasons I am able to help run this place (humble as it is) is because I work from home and get plenty of Dad time. As much as they've chatted up the series, I'm sure I'll see the movie - either in theaters or when we inevitably buy it on DVD.

Bayonet_Chris

Quote from: Martok on March 09, 2012, 06:47:56 AM
Am taking a small break from the Hornblower books to read Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent.  I only read it once before about 15 years ago, so it'll be interesting to see how much I enjoy it after all this time. 

Quote from: Bayonet_Chris on March 08, 2012, 05:15:58 PM
I'd be curious to hear your take on these two.

I really enjoy Penman's stuff in general.

Keunert

Stig Larsson, the trilogy that is the base of The gril with the dragon tattoo. oh my good i love this mara rooney lesbian look.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo