Main Menu

Mandalorian

Started by Jarhead0331, December 25, 2019, 09:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

Just watched the first four episodes at a friends house.  They had gotten Disney+ for their grandkids and did not know anything about the show.  We were very surprised at how good the shows were.  Still not sure why the other Mandalorians saved his ass when he stole baby yoda back.  Note: I am only a casual watcher of Stars Wars stuff.  I haven't seen the last two movies yet and have only read a couple of books.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bobarossa on January 07, 2020, 02:37:53 PM
.  Still not sure why the other Mandalorians saved his ass when he stole baby yoda back.  Note: I am only a casual watcher of Stars Wars stuff.  I haven't seen the last two movies yet and have only read a couple of books.

Pretty much as simple as Mandalorians have each others backs for the most part.  They're clan based society, there aren't many of them left, and they'll fight to protect their own. Their own laws are higher than any oaths to to other governments or guilds.  They also sided against the Empire in the war, the Empire essentially destroyed their culture and stole their resources, and they weren't going to turn down an excuse to screw the Imperial Client over.

You'd have to consume a lot of content from Clone Wars and Rebels to really get a good feel for their backstory, but their actions do make sense in the greater lore.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Clone Wars and Rebels both cover a lot of the Mandalorian culture, eh? Got me some watching to do.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on January 07, 2020, 06:43:10 PM
Clone Wars and Rebels both cover a lot of the Mandalorian culture, eh? Got me some watching to do.

A whole lot, and a massive amount of backstory about the Mandalorians.   In fact, the last shot of Mandalorian Season 1 makes virtually no sense if you haven't watched Clone Wars and Rebels.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 07, 2020, 07:30:54 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 07, 2020, 06:43:10 PM

A whole lot, and a massive amount of backstory about the Mandalorians.   In fact, the last shot of Mandalorian Season 1 makes virtually no sense if you haven't watched Clone Wars and Rebels.

Are you referring to "I've got to get one of those..."?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 07, 2020, 07:47:39 PM

Are you referring to "I've got to get one of those..."?

No, to the import of the weapon seen in the hands of Gideon.

Staggerwing

Oh... the you-know-what[spoiler]Darksaber[/spoiler]...

I've heard of it but confess that I don't know much about it at all.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 07, 2020, 08:04:43 PM
Oh... the you-know-what[spoiler]Darksaber[/spoiler]...

I've heard of it but confess that I don't know much about it at all.

Yeah, that's it.  It's hugely important to the Mandalorian Story lines in Clone Wars and Rebels.

[spoiler]It's basically the symbol of state.  The Lord/Lady of the Mandalorian people holds it.  The fact that Gideon has it means a major character from Clone Wars/Rebels has to be dead, because she'd never let an Imperial have it while she was alive. [/spoiler]

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I may have to go and watch those animated series. IIRC, they're all on Disney+ now.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 07, 2020, 08:12:59 PM
I may have to go and watch those animated series. IIRC, they're all on Disney+ now.

They're good but can be childish at points. 

Season 1-2 of Clone Wars was primarily aimed at kids and includes and entire story arc of Jar Jar.  In Season 3 Lucas took a direct interest in the show and it changed significantly becoming adult and more serialized.  Even though it matured into a different show, you can't skip season 1-2.  There's a lot of significant character stuff. 

Rebels mostly is aimed at the under 13 group, but it has some story arcs that are for adults.  It's far more a kids show, it never reaches some of the very heavy violence Clone Wars starts to feature (Clone Wars has an Apocalypse Now episode set) but it still has significant lore for the SW universe.   

The Mandalorian arc that goes through both series is a standout as some of the best Star Wars has to offer.   In Rebels, the material with Thrawn, the Emperor, the Mandalorians and some of the bigger themes of the nature of the force are good.   

I suggest both highly, especially Clone Wars post season 3.  I just caution that you should be prepared to go through some children's fare.

Staggerwing

I'm sure I'll be fine. The very first thing I watched after subbing to Disney+ was the premier episode of Tailspin.  ;D

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 07, 2020, 09:55:30 PM
I'm sure I'll be fine. The very first thing I watched after subbing to Disney+ was the premier episode of Tailspin.  ;D

I think you'll be fine.  But I'll admit, as insanely devoted a fan to Star Wars as I am, Clone Wars initially lost me after its first few episodes.   The pilot movie is awful and a lot of season one is really warmed over tripe. 

Years later I decided to power through and was richly rewarded for the resolve. 

I know a lot of other people that never made it through Clone Wars because they hit a wall early, especially with the Jar Jar episodes. 

Rebels is a bit less jarring, it's a good watch and it's never honestly bad, just sometimes a bit childish.   It doesn't have the extreme and shocking change Clone Wars has when it decides to shift gears.   Clone Wars goes from episode themes of Jar Jar bumbling around and baby Hutts smelling bad to PTSD, torture, targeting of civilians in war, and some REALLY surreal explorations of the nature of the force.

My other massive endorsement of Clone Wars is how it portrays Anakin.  Matt Lanter was a much better Anakin than Christensen.  He in his voice incorporates Vader's inflections and occasional wit, and as the war drags on him, his menace.  He has explosions of violence that stem from his experience in war that truly show he's breaking behind his heroic mask. He's an Anakin I can see becoming Vader, and he massively improves Revenge of the Sith knowing his background from the animated series. 

Sir Slash

I liked Clone Wars too but only when I was in the mood for a Star Wars fix. I lost touch with the series when it was pulled from Netflix and never finished it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

With all the acclaim Mandalorian is getting, I'm almost tempted to get Disney+.  Almost. 

Quote from: Gusington on December 30, 2019, 05:40:36 PM
Bay Yodas for all!

BTW I just installed this newly updated mod for Star Wars: Empire at War (Gold Edition) and it is insanely impressive, if any of you are interested:

https://www.pcgamer.com/re-fight-the-galactic-civil-war-with-this-gorgeous-star-wars-empire-at-war-mod/
Damn, that does look pretty good; I'll have to check it out.  Thanks, Gus
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces