Birds of Prey

Started by airboy, February 02, 2020, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

This is weird.  The critics reviews were embargoed until 48 hours before the first showing - and they are very positive.  They also mention that the movie is highly chaotic which makes sense since Harley Quinn is batshit crazy.

The wife and I may go see this on Tuesday - there is nothing else out other than a horror movie that holds any interest for either of us.

LoganismyHERO

84% on Rotten Tomatoes?! I take review sites with a grain of salt, but I wasn't expecting that high of a score. Eagerly awaiting your reviews.

JasonPratt

The high fresh score comes from a strongly weighted 64 or 61% "okay, sure" consensus. ;) 84% of reviews are technically over the fresh limit, therefore "fresh".

Haven't seen it myself, probably won't. I did notice that some of the trailers show more colorful footage than previously.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

We may go see it on cheapo Tuesday.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

For what it's worth, the auteur director of the John Wick series was hired in to reshoot most of the fight scenes (though not the finale, for whatever reason).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Title of the film will now be digitally changed in the theaters to "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey", to try to improve the marketing draw. This begs the question of why, with this film being SO VERY OVERTLY a vanity project for Margot Robbie, in marketing her as Quinn, the producers didn't lead with that in the title. This suggests BoP was originally meant to guest-star Quinn but Robbie took over the production (which to be fair, she and Ewan McGregor are by far the two best actors with the most energy in the film, but still.)

Aside from quality issues behind the switch, this may be historically the first time a film's title was altered in the same nation (or national market) while the film was still in theaters. (Films often have different titles in other languages, beyond merely translating or transliterating the titles.) Since films are now purely digital distribution, "patches" can simply be uploaded to theaters.