What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Haven't posted in here in a while as I was reading a lot of horror and true crime which I didn't think peeps would care about. Now I am back to reading history and have started 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles Mann. About 50 pages in and it is excellent - has a strong 'Guns, Germs and Steel' vibe while presenting tons of info that I did not know and is generally more interesting (to me) than Jared Diamond's book (although I still enjoyed it).

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on December 09, 2021, 10:23:58 AM
Haven't posted in here in a while as I was reading a lot of horror and true crime which I didn't think peeps would care about. Now I am back to reading history and have started 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles Mann. About 50 pages in and it is excellent - has a strong 'Guns, Germs and Steel' vibe while presenting tons of info that I did not know and is generally more interesting (to me) than Jared Diamond's book (although I still enjoyed it).

+1 on 1491 being a good book, and eye-opening.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on December 09, 2021, 10:23:58 AM

I'm curious.  Does this book appear to be, how should I ask this, communist revisionist history?  Do they talk about killing the white man because he's evil and can never change?  Or is it an actual history book that uncovers some previously unknown legitimate facts about the new continent?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but my great fear about modern day history books is that it's all pre-programmed agenda driven history rather than actual authentic history. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

It was written about 15 years ago so it's not that new. You know my online persona pretty well...would I read anything as revisionist as what you posted??

COME ON MAN

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on December 09, 2021, 02:59:37 PM
It was written about 15 years ago so it's not that new. You know my online persona pretty well...would I read anything as revisionist as what you posted??

COME ON MAN

Yes I do know you brother.  I'm just watching out for my bros.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Gusington

I can send you my copy of 1491 when I'm done!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Almost done with 1491 and have thoroughly enjoyed it...W8 I will send the copy to you next week. Planning on reading 1493 soon too.

First though I am thinking of reading The Teutonic Knights by Henryk Sienkiewwicz. The copy I have is an ex-library copy and weighs in at close to 800 pages, so it is a bit intimidating.

Anyone here read and finish it?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^Cool thanks Gus!  Hold off until after the new year though.  I will be away visiting the outlaws next week. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I read it a long time ago.  I liked it, but you have to flow with the writing style.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Just finished Castles and Fortified Cities of Medieval Europe - An Illustrated History by Jean-Denis G.G. LePage and about to begin Medieval Handgonnes - The First Black Powder Infantry Weapons by Sean McLachlan.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

twitter3

I have started Destiny Can Wait about Polish pilots and their contributions during WWII.

SirAndrewD

My first published, book actually.   :D
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback