What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

The Wife also passed me along The Hunger Games trilogy...I was going to read them while playing Fallout: New Vegas. Not so much, according to you guys? Are they tweenie, girlie reads?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

republic

I'm kind of an A.D.D. reader.  I'm currently in the middle of:

• Cryoburn - Lois McMaster Bujold (Vorkosigan series is a great sci-fi series)
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - James Hornfischer  (Just finished Neptunes Inferno by the same author, great book)
  • Eye of the World - Robert Jordan (Friend has begged me to read this series for awhile)
  • Treason's Harbour - Patrick O'Brian (One of my favorite authors/series)

Those are the ones I'm reading on regularly, I just sortof swap off day by day to keep them fresh.  I have an even bigger list of 'to read' book that I've collected over the past couple months.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on March 10, 2012, 02:56:16 PM
The Wife also passed me along The Hunger Games trilogy...I was going to read them while playing Fallout: New Vegas. Not so much, according to you guys? Are they tweenie, girlie reads?

I wouldn't call them girlie reads.  There is a bit of the tweenie drama in the first and second and more so in the third book.  However, the drama is only in spots and it moves on fast enough that you don't dwell on it to long.  If you like post apocalyptic settings its an interesting read.  Plus it is a fairly quick read so as long as you have an average reading ability it won't waste alot of your time if you don't end up liking it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Steelgrave

I'm wrapping up book two of Joe Abercrombie's superb "The First Law" trilogy. Very, very well done!

Gusington

Thanks SCDJ...I mean, CommandTent.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: republic on March 10, 2012, 03:56:54 PM

• Eye of the World - Robert Jordan (Friend has begged me to read this series for awhile)

Fair warning:  Some folks find the pacing of Eye of the World to be rather...glacial.  I personally didn't have that problem, but I know a number of folks (including those who are fans of the series) have said they found the first book to be among the slowest. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Martok on March 11, 2012, 02:11:18 PM

Fair warning:  Some folks find the pacing of Eye of the World to be rather...glacial.  I personally didn't have that problem, but I know a number of folks (including those who are fans of the series) have said they found the first book to be among the slowest.

I read this book and came away thinking along the same lines and have not read another book in the series since.  Should I give the next book a try?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Quote from: TheCommandTent on March 11, 2012, 02:35:53 PM

I read this book and came away thinking along the same lines and have not read another book in the series since.  Should I give the next book a try?
I would, yes.  EotW (sadly) isn't a very good introduction to the series. 

Now if The Great Hunt (the second book) doesn't grab you, *then* I would go ahead and walk away. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MIGMaster

Are any of the Warhammer books available in e-book format ?

Gusington

^A lot are, check out Black Library. Speaking of which, once I am done with my current Chinese history book (Qing) I am going to crack open the new WH title Luther Huss...takes place not in WH40K but in the ancient WH universe. It's a tale about a witch hunter and I'm almost certain that all new releases from Black Library are also released as digital books. 

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

Thanks for sharing Gus - "Knowledge is power, guard it well."

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Martok on March 11, 2012, 02:45:29 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on March 11, 2012, 02:35:53 PM

I would, yes.  EotW (sadly) isn't a very good introduction to the series. 

Now if The Great Hunt (the second book) doesn't grab you, *then* I would go ahead and walk away.

Thanks!  I'll see if my local library has them.

LongBlade

For a while Black Library even offered a few ebooks for free. I'm not sure why or for how long (or if still available) but check their site.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

republic

Its not too bad.  Its slower than I would like, but nowhere near as bad as Peter F Hamilton's work.  I just barely made it through Pandora's Star and have yet to finish its sequel Judas Unchained.

Gusington

Migs: I also got notification that a new title called 'Phalanx' has been shipped...it's a WH40K April 2012 release. Black Library has some fantastic stuff. I could spend 1000s there and I've only been into WH40K for a few months!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd