Totally Fascinated by This

Started by bayonetbrant, December 21, 2012, 04:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Football_League

QuoteThe GFL is partitioned into north and south conferences, each with seven teams. In each conference, every team plays against every other team of its own conference, both at home and away. Each team also plays home and away interconference games against the team from the opposing conference that finished the previous season on the same rank. After the end of the regular season, four teams from both conferences enter the playoffs, to determine the German championship. The winner of a conference plays against the 4th place team of the other group, second against third of the other conference. The final is called the German Bowl. The lowest ranked team of each conference plays against the winner of the second division, and may be relegated if they lose.
The league has been expanded from 12 to 14 teams for the 2011 season. It is planned to further increase the number of teams to 16 in 2012.[2]
Below the GFL sits the GFL 2, formerly the 2nd Bundesliga, which was formed in 1982.[3] It is also divided into a northern and southern division, with eight teams in each. For the 2011 season, both the northern and the southern champions are promoted, while the runners-up of the two divisions will play the last placed team in the GFL division above for another spot in the league in 2012.[2]
For most of its history, the GFL has been divided into a northern and southern division. Only in 1979 was it played in single division format, while, from 1986 to 1990, it was divided into four regional divisions.
As of 2010, the Munich Cowboys have played more GFL games than any other team, 335, followed by the Berlin Adler with 312, the only other team with more than 300 league games. The Cowboys have played 29 out of a possible 32 seasons at the highest level of the game in Germany, more than any other club.[4]
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

Very cool, but no German teams named the "Blitz" or the "Panzers"? Seeing a lost opportunity there  8)

Martok

I'm still bemused we even have football outside of the U.S.  The rest of the world -- and Europe especially -- seems to be so gung-ho about soccer it's hard to believe football garners any interest over there. 

Quote from: Steelgrave on December 21, 2012, 07:28:06 PM
no German teams named the "Blitz" or the "Panzers"? Seeing a lost opportunity there  8)
That does seem like a no-brainer, doesn't it?  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Keunert

PC is big in germany. and most likely most of those teams have or had a lot of us players.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

bayonetbrant

I just stumbled across this one, too - who knew there were that many tackle football leagues outside the US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_Football_League
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

That's pretty cool. Munich Cowboys, lol! Nice.

BanzaiCat

QuoteMost Valuable Player: Moshe Horowitz, RB, Jerusalem Lions

Not to be insensitive, but where else outside of an SNL skit would you see something like that?  :2funny:

Pretty awesome, actually.

Steelgrave

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 08, 2014, 10:52:50 AM
QuoteMost Valuable Player: Moshe Horowitz, RB, Jerusalem Lions

Not to be insensitive, but where else outside of an SNL skit would you see something like that?  :2funny:

Pretty awesome, actually.

Murray Hill, New York
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.