Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 22, 2020, 01:18:16 PM

The product page in the official DCS store is a good start. If you dig a little deeper you can probably find more specifics.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/terrains/syria_terrain/
[...]

Plans are also in the works to include Cyprus.

Thanks, Jarhead.

Pete Dero

A-10C II Tank Killer Released to Open Beta !

DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer is available now for $79.99. If you own DCS: A-10C Warthog, you can upgrade to DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer for only $9.99 until the 31st of October 2020. After that, the upgrade will cost $19.99.

The upgrade option and module are both available on Steam and E-shop now.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/tank_killer/

Jarhead0331

Another one that I can't wait to fly...

https://flyingironsimulations.com/blogs/news/dcs-a-7e-corsair-ii-development-update?fbclid=IwAR3UsGICG7jfOo7Cjr6RgVX3XI35KaC2W4XyHV3qCFtD8O8JP2-GQ0lHLDw

I find the information about the HUD of particular interest. It really looks like a cross-over from early generation HUDs to something that incorporates elements that we still see in modern HUD systems today.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Nice module indeed!

I've also been playing around with the HMCS in the Hawg 2; a little buggy still, but once this works flawlessly the Hog drivers will be the masters of SA on the DCS battlefield! Very cool piece of kit.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 16, 2020, 04:05:06 PM
Nice module indeed!

I've also been playing around with the HMCS in the Hawg 2; a little buggy still, but once this works flawlessly the Hog drivers will be the masters of SA on the DCS battlefield! Very cool piece of kit.

I really want to learn the Hog, but the SOI stuff holds me back. It just seems so complicated.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Ugh...I scarfed down dinner and then went on a ground pounding mission against a crapload of AAA. I was jinking like a bat out of hell and now I really feel air sick.... :buck2:

But God damn if VR isn't the most amazing invention since the light bulb.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

New Sim pit under construction!

1. Tekcreations F/A-18C Up Front Controller
2. Thrustmaster Cougar Multi-Function Displays
3. Tekcreations F-16C integrated Control Panel
4. Buddy Fox Sims A-10C II Up Front Controller

Monstertech table mounts on order.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

WYBaugh

JasonPratt

And notice, the setup is actually a little wider than the photo!

Does the stick holder swing over into position? I only ask because the bracing thing doesn't look quite like it does, so I'm curious.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

Very nice setup!!

Are you going to replace the CH Pedals? With such a profi simpit you owe it to yourself to get rid of spikey podmeters and get a decent hall sensor, cam driven, set of pedals like the MFG Crosswind. 😊
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 23, 2020, 01:54:24 AM
Very nice setup!!

Are you going to replace the CH Pedals? With such a profi simpit you owe it to yourself to get rid of spikey podmeters and get a decent hall sensor, cam driven, set of pedals like the MFG Crosswind. 😊

I think about this often, but with flying mostly modern fighters, I hardly use rudder. Pretty much only on the ground for taxiing. It's really not worth the investment, but as I build the pit, I'm sure it will happen eventually.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 22, 2020, 10:43:25 PM
And notice, the setup is actually a little wider than the photo!

Does the stick holder swing over into position? I only ask because the bracing thing doesn't look quite like it does, so I'm curious.

Nope. The stick and throttle mounts are fixed in place. I went with an F16 style side stick mounted setup.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

JH do all those physical button panels mean you use VR less for simming now?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 23, 2020, 05:04:55 PM
JH do all those physical button panels mean you use VR less for simming now?

Nope. I fly almost exclusively in VR. I place textured adhesive beads on some of the buttons so I can feel where they are. Works great.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

It's been a year and a half since I first sat down and attempted to learn a high fidelity DCS model: the harrier.  Since then, I have played almost 1400 hours of it and I've not played any other game for a second. Having even booted anything else up. I could never get into any flight simulators for more than a day or two. I just "knew" it wasn't real...I was never immersed. It was quite an epiphany when I discovered that the problem was lack of realism and complexity. Feeling like I'm doing what a pilot would have to do in real life to make things work completely immersed me.

At first it was the modern fighters: f-18, then F-16 and then the F-14. I found out though that I really enjoyed the 2nd gen aircraft even more: mig 21 and mig 19. The more archaic switches, buttons and dials there are, the better. Hell, I even enjoy the Mig 15 and P-47!

I find myself REALLY looking forward to the A-7 and praying at night for the F-4 Phantom. These modules for DCS are all fantastic. If you are kind of "on the fence" about trying DCS, I'd recommend setting aside 2 hours, sitting down With a YouTube tutorial and learn to cold start and fly a plane. If you've tried and it ain't your thing....try an older plane: like the Mig 21 or mig 15. For me, those planes are so different from anything else; they fascinate me.

Just hoping there are a few more of you guys out there who read this thread, toss around the idea of learning it but decide not to. Give it a shot. I went from hating flight sims to not touching anything else but DCS, listening to fighter pilot podcasts and reading everything I can on it. Just sit down, and give it a few hours
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson