Falcon Northwest vs. Alienware vs. NewEgg

Started by Gusington, November 19, 2020, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I bought a Respawn desk and chair to replace the old, tiny ones that I have now. A few years ago I posted my current setup and I think Slash commented that it looked very 'Dickensian,' which it is in a Tiny Tim way. I will post the new set up here once I have it put together this weekend. It will be great :) Not in a JH Skynet kind of great, but still great.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

:bd: <:-) :clap:

Happy Birthday To Rig!

Now, of course, you must name it.

Have fun choosing a name.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

New Rig Day is always very anticipated.  Enjoy.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Thank you. The older rig's name is Gigatron. Before that was Megatron, and IIRC before that was UNIVAC.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Careful.  Knowing UNIVAC may be showing your age.  I bet you remember vacuum tubes too.  :timeout:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I...do :/

I actually had an illustrated history book of computers that my dad gave me around 1985, and UNIVAC was in there. I was mesmerized.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: airboy on December 02, 2020, 04:54:28 PM
My 27" monitor barely fits on my computer desk in NC.  What type of desk did you get?  Want to post a picture when you have it set up?

Wall mount - Makes a world of difference!
Insert witty comment here.

Ubercat

Here's the system that I'm considering ordering from Digital Storm.
The cost will be about $3,372 after 10% discount.  Thoughts?

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Processor: Intel Core i9-10850K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z490-P / MSI Z490-A Pro (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card: 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

Solid price for what you're getting, there. Can you increase the power supply a bit?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

Not need to, no, but for absolute future proofing, where you would be able to keep this PC for 6, 7 or  8 years and stretch your dollar even further...a slightly more powerful power supply would help.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on December 03, 2020, 08:35:25 PM
Do you really think I need to?

For a 3080 850w is enough. If you ever upgrade to a 3090, it probably won't be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

I don't know if you care to overclock the processor, cause it's a K model that means it's unlocked and could be overclocked fairly well.
For example, my 9700K runs stable at its constant boost clock of 5.0 Ghz on all cores without breaking a sweat.
So, if you want to pull that off as well I would change the Asus Prime board for something more high end. While Asus makes good stuff their Prime line of products is budget oriented and don't handle overclocking as well as their Strix boards for example. No need to go for Maximus tier, but I would swap out the Prime board if I'd need to chose now.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

I can also vouch for Asus. The machine I am replacing is an Asus and while not fancy like Yskonyn said, it is a workhorse, always boots up, never crashes and is an all around great machine. And it ran every game I played on it for five years without issues.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd