Falcon Northwest vs. Alienware vs. NewEgg

Started by Gusington, November 19, 2020, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

My Alienware monitor and the keyboard arrived a few minutes ago. The FedEx delivery truck literally exploded in my driveway and there were packages everywhere. From within came the monitor. Hopefully it's alright. Just waiting on delivery of the new speakers, subwoofer and hopped up mouse now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Don't Intels have dynamic overclocking? Or used to?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on December 04, 2020, 11:38:11 AM
My Alienware monitor and the keyboard arrived a few minutes ago. The FedEx delivery truck literally exploded in my driveway and there were packages everywhere. From within came the monitor. Hopefully it's alright. Just waiting on delivery of the new speakers, subwoofer and hopped up mouse now.

So was it your unbridled enthusiasm/impatience that blew up the delivery truck??  That was me last December waiting for the delivery truck to pull up my driveway with my formerly new PC. 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Believe it or not no. I just stood up from working, and lo and behold, the van was there, with dozens of packages spilling out of it, and the monitor appeared. It's next to my spot on the bed now :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

matt3916

Yskonyn

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 04, 2020, 12:17:32 PM
Don't Intels have dynamic overclocking? Or used to?

Intel's have factory spec 'boost'; the old school turbo.
For example, the base clock of my 9700K is 3.6Ghz and can dynamically ramp up to 5.0Ghz in boost for peaks.
However, this up and downclocking of processor caused some microstutter in some situations, at least it did in earlier days, but regardless it's only a feature about energy management and labels, so rather bullshit to me; if I build a high performance gaming rig I don't care about the 20 dollars I pay extra a year due to slightly higher power consumption. It just needs to run at peak performance all the time.
That's why the K models are so nice. Allmost all can run stable at their boost peak with proper cooling and if you get the silicon lottery you can even go beyond without too much trouble.
Though, arguably, the 200 or 300mhz extra wont be very noticable.
Base clock to boost though... different case!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Yes, kicked The Wife out for the evening and slept with the monitor  ^-^

TODAY IS THE DAY!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Hello from The Future. After two days and an embarrassingly high amount of help from The Wife to build the furniture and from my daughters to move the old stuff out, the new system is up and running! Downloading clients and apps and AV and games the I couldn't run on my old machine like nobody's business. Even got my Bluetooth speaker running and it is glorious. This HP Omen machine is so damned quiet it's barely noticeable that it's even on...the light show out of the side of the case helps with that. Not sure if that will drive me crazy after a while. But - everything is running flawlessly as of right now. Will post a pic or two when I get the chance.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Thanks! Have to say the HP Omen is well-named. It is so efficient and quiet that it's creepy. I had no idea how quiet a PC could be.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: Gusington on December 06, 2020, 06:02:46 PM
Hello from The Future... everything is running flawlessly as of right now...

That is quite a relief - I've been fearing that any new post in this thread will be about Something Going Horribly Wrong

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd