May I pass on this Point Non VRers wont know

Started by MiniHexer, August 22, 2021, 03:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniHexer

Staggerwing

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually got my hands on an original Oculus Quest but have not been able to get a GFX card that can handle it. Soon maybe...

Quote from: MiniHexer on August 22, 2021, 03:26:00 AM
living lives like... tiger woods

Hopefully not in a driving sim...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MiniHexer

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 22, 2021, 06:08:36 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually got my hands on an original Oculus Quest but have not been able to get a GFX card that can handle it. Soon maybe...

Quote from: MiniHexer on August 22, 2021, 03:26:00 AM
living lives like... tiger woods

Hopefully not in a driving sim...

Staggerwing

You're probably right, it's the first generation headset but I can't check as it's packed away right now since I don't have that GFX card yet.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

MiniHexer

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 22, 2021, 06:46:53 AM
You're probably right, it's the first generation headset but I can't check as it's packed away right now since I don't have that GFX card yet.

ArizonaTank

I was very excited by my Oculus Rift when I got it about three years ago. I even got three room sensors, and a PC and GFX card that could manage it well. My wife thought I was crazy until I got her to play Disney's Coco game (a great experience if you haven't tried it).

When Oculus Go came out, I jumped on it...told all my friends that at that price point...and given no special hardware requirements, VR would take over the world.

Then when Oculus Quest 2 came out, I again quickly jumped on...surely now I thought VR would be everything and I would never look back to the old desktop...

But after several years of VR...the excitement is over and I now think of VR as just another gaming accessory option. A very good one. But IMHO it is pretty obvious that the "killer" VR technology (the one that everyone will have to have) is still not with us.

Firstly, I love...love...love VR. But I probably only play it for about 10% of my gaming...

I think there are several reasons

-The VR technology does not replace the role of a desktop well. VR is mainly good at games, entertainment, and graphical software such as 3d drawing.  Sure you can get a VR desktop...but I have found them to be clumsy. I use my desktop for work...and no way I would put on a VR headset for work...so the desktop stays.

-VR headsets are still heavy and uncomfortable. In my case, wearing one for more than 30 minutes makes my face sweat where it touches the headset pad...not a great feeling...  This is even worse with Rift. It has room movement, so the games can sometimes be quite physical. A great thing in theory...but not when my face starts to sweat profusely. Then there is the issue of glasses...none of the three headsets I have handles my glasses well.

-Physical set up the VR rig is also a bit of a pain. The Rift with the three room sensors is the worst of course. The Oculus Go is no setup at all, but the content for the Go is just not there yet. The Quest 2 is easy in theory...but if I want to play Rift games, I have to use a USB cable... The USB 3.0 cable on my rig gets a little involved... Sometimes, I just want to turn on my computer and play. For this reason, I sometimes still play with the TrackIR instead of VR...TrackIR is already set up on my computer ready to go...I just need to put on my baseball cap.

-At least on the Oculus side, the Go, Rift and Quest are all different platforms, and not 100% compatible with each other. There are some games that only play on one or two of these. And then there is the issue that there are games that only play on a few makes of VR. For example, Fallout VR does not play on Oculus. Setup is also a little involved sometimes, and the VR software occasionally has a strange interaction with other applications.

-While many VR games are great...I still find that the best games are still desktop only.

Don't get me wrong, I love VR...and it has some really great experiences...but IMHO it is still not ready to replace my desktop as far as gaming is concerned...and maybe it never will...at least in my lifetime.

Having said all of this...I will probably get myself a Hive for Christmas.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Staggerwing

Do any of the more family-friendly VR games allow two people to play at the same time on the same computer?

I'd love to pursue it a bit more if i could also have my son try it if a second older headset is not too expensive (still need that pricy GFX card first) but i doubt I'd be able to afford two complete setups. Also, he's cognitively disabled so I wouldn't want any violent shooters, just stuff on par with the Lego Star Wars and similar PG movie inspired content.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 22, 2021, 12:25:37 PM
Do any of the more family-friendly VR games allow two people to play at the same time on the same computer?

I'd love to pursue it a bit more if i could also have my son try it if a second older headset is not too expensive (still need that pricy GFX card first) but i doubt I'd be able to afford two complete setups. Also, he's cognitively disabled so I wouldn't want any violent shooters, just stuff on par with the Lego Star Wars and similar PG movie inspired content.

The way to go for these types of games with multiple players is with the quest 2. You just need the two headsets and no computer. As far as running two headsets from the same computer. No. It won't work.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MiniHexer

edit

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 22, 2021, 12:31:38 PMquest 2.

Thanks for the tip. I just went to look up the Quest 2 and it seems to be a great option, for what little I know of VR. Unfortunately, it's sold out on the Oculus website.

There are some third party sellers but they are asking $500-$600, or slightly less for used examples, while the Oculus site says the headset starts at $299. If I could get two for $600 it might be worth considering but paying those inflated prices now is a nonstarter. Any scuttlebutt on when Oculus themselves will have them back?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 22, 2021, 12:59:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 22, 2021, 12:31:38 PMquest 2.

Thanks for the tip. I just went to look up the Quest 2 and it seems to be a great option, for what little I know of VR. Unfortunately, it's sold out on the Oculus website.

There are some third party sellers but they are asking $500-$600, or slightly less for used examples, while the Oculus site says the headset starts at $299. If I could get two for $600 it might be worth considering but paying those inflated prices now is a nonstarter. Any scuttlebutt on when Oculus themselves will have them back?

Target website says restock on 8/24.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MiniHexer

edit

Staggerwing

Thanks JH. I'll keep an eye on Target. I also signed up for email notification at Newegg.

MiniHexer

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 22, 2021, 03:30:54 PM
Thanks JH. I'll keep an eye on Target. I also signed up for email notification at Newegg.

If you are planning on buying a quest2, then I would use your time waiting to research a link cable, as you have to buy it seperate, what it does is alows you to connect to your desktop for desktop powered VR.

also I would like to point out that there are two versions of the quest 2, the memory is doubled on the more expensive one, but with a bit of file swapping and useing the link cable you would be ok on the cheap version

Staggerwing

From what I have read the 'link cable' is just a bespoke USB-c cable, not sure how the whole 'fiber optic' moniker applies. Some online claim that a good quality long generic USB-c cable from Monoprice or Ankor works just as well.