Naval Action is now F2P (Free to Play)!! BIG NEWS

Started by Destraex, October 19, 2022, 07:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Just today their is a free server with 3 month seasons. Wiped every 3 months. Very exciting for those who did not ever try it.
Hoping with 3 month seasons the grind is shallow and the big clans less powerful. Just combat and trade and enjoying the different historical ships.
One of the best games I have ever played hands down.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/311310/view/3547173461241235672
Important information on availability of War and Peace servers during launch.
Access to F2P server (Caribbean) will be open to all paid version users during maintenance on the 19th of October.
Free to play version of Naval Action will be launched on Steam 19th of October at approximately 4-6 PM UTC time/ 9-11 am Seattle (PST) when Valve would manually launch the Free version of the game in the Steam Store.
Unfortunately due some technical specifics of the Steam side and our server tech, War and Peace server will TEMPORARILY be closed for several days. Valve will have to manually support access to old servers for paid users and this will require from several hours to several working days. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. If the temporary shut down will last for more than several hours - compensation will be provided one servers reopen.
New server launch - Caribbean
Caribbean is a seasonal server which will accept all incoming players starting today.
Caribbean server will have 4 seasons:
Jan-March
April-June
July-September
October-December.
First season will start on launch of Caribbean server and will end at the end of December 2022.
Caribbean server will have 4 nations:
Britain
Spain
France
Pirates
Dutch might be added in the next seasons.
Important: Caribbean Server - Seasonal Resets
Seasons bring renewal. New players will never again face insurmountable walls of skill, overpowered ships and upgrades. Every new player wave will have the chance for a fresh start every season.
Each new season, you and your clan will be able to choose a new tactic and approach to conquer cities. New clans, new alliances, new wars, a new approach to conquering strategic and profitable places.
First season will start on launch of Caribbean server and will end at the end of December 2022.
The following content will reset on season end:
XP and Crafting XP and Skill Books - will be reset in the first season
All assets - will be reset in the first season
All player investments in crafting - will be reset in the first season but compensated at the beginning of the new season
Naval Service Medals - all accumulated naval service medals will be sent to the player money wallet account in Season 2.
At season 2 start all players on the Caribbean will start at lvl 0 and will have earned NSM in store
New patch has also been deployed
Patch changes
Caribbean Server Port ownership leaderboard points will only come from 2 regions
Hispaniola
Bahamas
Combat for these regions will create a more defined compact active war. At the same time, small clans or groups of players who do not want to take part in a fierce war for prestige and service medals will be able to capture regions and cities all over the map for crafting and taxation.
Ship crafting changes
All ships will require permits to craft.
Permits can be gained from open world and mission NPCs and rarely from ship disassembly.
Permits will have an increased chance of drop from special events when they happen.
Upgrades can no longer be placed into the upgrade chest at Sea.
Leaks and structural leaks have been rebalanced.
Crew on pumps and crew during leaks numbers have been changed. Crew on survival will not grow so drastically when the ship has taken a lot of water.
NPC stats and rank changes.
Experimental ranks added.
Captain/Admiral of the Red - uses damage and reload mods, weak hull strength
Captain/Admiral of the White - uses hull and structure strength mods, weak damage output
Cost of the port battle flag has been reduced to 100 combat medals
Port battle flags are removed from loot. Flags can only be purchased from now on.
Ship hull repairs have been increased to 40%
St Kitts pump bonus lowered to 80%
Grape damage increased by 25%
Ship structure hitpoints have been slightly increased
Costs of warehousing, outposts, additional docks, warehouse space and tow permits have been changed.
Port defense no longer grants points for the Port Battle Leaderboards - to fix arranged defense exploit
PVP Leaderboard (accessible from map) bugs fixed.

*Spotlight image from Captain Bastey from the screenshot competition in June 2021.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on October 19, 2022, 07:45:46 AM
Just today their is a free server with 3 month seasons. Wiped every 3 months. Very exciting for those who did not ever try it.

This is good news, I guess.  I had a blast on this game when it first came out (late 2015?  Early 2016?).  I earned a heap of cash and stuff in PvP...so much that for years
I pretty much just sold off what I had and got what I thought might be fun.  Then things went downhill and there were revaluations or something and now I have very little
left in the game and not much interest in going back in.  I'll definitely be in to see if I can blast some big ships with speedy little ships with
killer long range guns (which used to be my modus operandi).  But i have my doubts, naturally.

Destraex

I think it's good news. Might give the game some new players. I already know somebody who may be coming over from world of warships.

BTW I read the notes a little more and the wipe is not every 3 months. The first season ends at the end of the year and it looks like their is just an XP reset.
As for them talking about assets below, not sure whether they mean it literally or for the in game item called assets.

"The following content will reset on season end:
All player investments in crafting - will be reset in the first season but compensated at the beginning of the new season
Naval Service Medals - all accumulated naval service medals will be sent to the player money wallet account in Season 2.
At season 2 start all players on the Caribbean will start at lvl 0 and will have earned NSM in store"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on October 19, 2022, 10:37:51 PM
I think it's good news. Might give the game some new players. I already know somebody who may be coming over from world of warships.

BTW I read the notes a little more and the wipe is not every 3 months. The first season ends at the end of the year and it looks like their is just an XP reset.
As for them talking about assets below, not sure whether they mean it literally or for the in game item called assets.

At season 2 start all players on the Caribbean will start at lvl 0 and will have earned NSM in store"

Well, I went and sailed around.  Got into a couple of scraps.  I've never had much of an idea what you're supposed to do in this game, but the fights are fun.  here's my current boat:

Gusington

^Cool. How friendly is the community in this game?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2022, 06:34:49 AM
^Cool. How friendly is the community in this game?

The newer players seem to be trying to be civil at least on the Viva Espana! channel (I'm Delgado and I sail for Spain).  One German-only speaker amongst the Spanish seemed to be
having trouble, but English and Spanish went along okay.  Back in 2015-16 people were at least gregarious if not exactly kindly.  It's still early days on the seasonal Caribean server so
who's to say?  so far people seem to be attempting a certain degree of civility, but I have a fast ship and if things get too tart, I just sail away.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 20, 2022, 11:05:01 AM
Pretty ship Ming...Errr, Capt Delgado I mean.

I don't think I made Captain yet...Coast Guard Ensign Junior Grade or something like that. I bought the ship as a DLC years ago.  She used to be a real killer, so I hear,
but like lots of things she seems to have been thoroughly nerfed (or so they say...she has always worked okay for me early on before I get big crews and big guns).

Skoop

I played this game really heavy from 2020 to 2021.  The devs released a patch on the war server over the summer that changed so much of the game and all the player based hated it and left the game.  I haven't t touch NA since June.

The new F2P has been hinted at the last year, and now it's here, the seasonal wipe thing kind of threw us for a loop.  The devs threw that in to be like tarkov and their seasonal wipes to combat the noob rape.

Problem is, they didn't soften the grind at all and NA is grindey like no other.  So there's no point grinding anything other than rank.  Also, dlc will be king so even though it's f2p it's really pay to win.

MengJiao

Quote from: Skoop on October 20, 2022, 06:08:50 PM
I played this game really heavy from 2020 to 2021.  The devs released a patch on the war server over the summer that changed so much of the game and all the player based hated it and left the game.  I haven't t touch NA since June.

The new F2P has been hinted at the last year, and now it's here, the seasonal wipe thing kind of threw us for a loop.  The devs threw that in to be like tarkov and their seasonal wipes to combat the noob rape.

Problem is, they didn't soften the grind at all and NA is grindey like no other.  So there's no point grinding anything other than rank.  Also, dlc will be king so even though it's f2p it's really pay to win.

All so true.  This could have been a fine game if they had worked out the meta with something more imaginative than "clans" and crafting.  That's so 1990s.  Still sailing is fun and sometimes the fights are interesting and I have a pile of DLC so I'll visit the game from time to time like I used to.

Destraex

Yeah. I won't grind. Only dabble when I feel the urge to go and play in an age of sail ship.
Despite all the changes imho Naval Action is still the best age of sail multiplayer game. Really the only one that approaches a sim and has historical ships and colour palette.
I had a crazy amount of hours in naval action many years ago also like Skoop but a lot earlier. I would have been in sea trials with Jarhead back in 2014. My take is that it was well worth the cost of entry for me and is still a very good game if you are not fussed about grinding.

The devs are Ukrainian are they not?

Destraex

Quote from: Destraex on October 19, 2022, 10:37:51 PM

OK essentially it is 3 months... so every 12 weeks everybody will start in a cutter, do the final exam and be able to crew a 240 man sloops ships in about 10 minutes. Not bad really.

Skoop

Sounds like the latest patch sped up the xp leveling which is good, but I doubt I'll play this full time like 2020.  The best part of the game is massive port battles in 3 to 1st rates.  How is anyone really going to level their character to that.  I seriously doubt we'll ever see a 1st rate port battle again.  It's like the free to play is going to be nothing but small ships and frigates sparing around indefinitely.

This has become tarkov in ships, and the wipes is exactly why I don't play tarkov.

Destraex

Fair enough. As a casual player it means that I can just focus on having some fun in the ships I have.