VR Headset kills User For Real If the Player Dies In Game

Started by Jarhead0331, November 07, 2022, 02:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

As expected this thread is beginning to plumb the depths.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Uberhaus

Thinking about my joke today, I was worried I might have potentially given offense.  However, even with all the comedy odds against me, I managed to deliver a message about how appalling both products are.

al_infierno

Generally speaking if Gus replies with a laugh emoji, I'd say you're good  :peace:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

Who here remembers my Ernst Rohm pun from way back in the Wargamer days?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

Not me. And I wouldn't just say that because I have no measurable amount of self-respect.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Why would anyone agree to playing a game wearing a brain exploding headset that will go off if you die virtually in game?

Now if I owned my own uninhabited island in the Pacific and my first name started with Dr., oh the fun that could be had forcing any visitor to "play a game".
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

Quote from: W8taminute on November 09, 2022, 03:16:26 PM
Why would anyone agree to playing a game wearing a brain exploding headset that will go off if you die virtually in game?

Now if I owned my own uninhabited island in the Pacific and my first name started with Dr., oh the fun that could be had forcing any visitor to "play a game".

This really brings as new meaning to "The Most Dangerous Game"  :o
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

^LOL, yup!

Could make for a good movie or book too.   ;D
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

This is just a geek version of Russian Roulette. 

So if a bug in the firmware causes a premature explosion. Is it manslaughter? Who goes to jail?

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

Or, the game crashes. Do you get a Do-Over or a Headshot?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sigwolf

Discussing such a device as a theoretical issue is a little weird, but I see how it could be interesting in terms of a story or movie plot.  Following through with a "functional" prototype is seriously unhinged.  Something is not connected in that man's brain.