Microsoft Admits Windows 8 was a Mistake ?

Started by Zulu1966, April 17, 2013, 05:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MIGMaster

Would make so much more sense than the pre-school interface. In the meantime, thank goodness for the 3rd party shell designers! 

DoctorQuest

I have not been impressed with either Win8 or Office 2013. Both appear to be rush jobs. I installed O2013 long enough to find out it consistantly fails when trying to send emails with attachments. WTF?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

LongBlade

I've not had any issues with Outlook 13 (yet) but it's only been up for a couple of days.

Win 8, to my eyes, is a step backward. There is a kind of saving grace, but I only learned about it after buying a manual to figure out how the heck it works.

At the tablet interface you can simply start typing the name of a program (read: app) and it automatically searches for it. Very handy - if you know the exact name. If you don't know it, it's difficult to figure out - "security" for instances doesn't find the admin tools for, say, turning the firewall on or off. It just finds AV programs.

In all it's a puzzling design decision. We've spent years mastering where to find stuff in previous versions. Now MS decides to pretend like we're all pre-schoolers (hat tip to Migsy) and they've succeeded in confusing everyone, not just new users. SMH
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

^That's good to hear....

My other beef with Office 2013 is that they completely removed the "custom install" option that allows to you install a subset of Office components. I really only use Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook. Don't make me install the other junk, please.

Yes, I will have some cheese with my whine.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

LongBlade

I'll admit I use the search feature about once a day.

Just this morning I hit the Window key and then typed "note" which brought up two apps: notepad and a sticky note app that's new. I wanted notepad and clicked on it. Very easy.

So there are times when it's not too bad. Then again, hitting the windows key and clicking on the Accessories folder in previous versions wasn't exactly a strain.

Mr. Bigglesworth

What is the point in yet another upregrade? You pay a lot for some software with non-expiring lisceneces that I fear will just be broken in several years with everyone pointing fingers at everyone else. We are not updating that version to run on win x /Mac x. You have to buy our version y.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on April 17, 2013, 04:04:41 PM
What is the point in yet another upregrade? You pay a lot for some software with non-expiring lisceneces that I fear will just be broken in several years with everyone pointing fingers at everyone else. We are not updating that version to run on win x /Mac x. You have to buy our version y.

I would never had bought it had my old laptop not died. I needed a new gaming rig and this one was priced right. That it had 8 was something I couldn't avoid.

I can't say I hate it. After a couple of weeks using it I'm learning my way around it. I would definitely recommend buying a book to figure out stuff for it. I bought the Kindle edition of Inside and Out so that I could search it more easily.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on April 17, 2013, 10:56:03 AM
At the tablet interface you can simply start typing the name of a program (read: app) and it automatically searches for it. Very handy - if you know the exact name.

I'm sure it's not breaking news that iOS has had that feature since Barry O. still lived in chicago. Just plink the Home button until 'Search' comes up. ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys