Main Menu

Mod Use Dilimma

Started by Tanaka, November 25, 2020, 04:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trek

My name is trek and I'm a modaholic too. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm also a longtime repeat-offender of the worst kind. Mods have become like crack-cocaine for me. It's been going on awhile but has really intensified in the last couple years. This past march I probably spent a good two weeks going over all my mods and consolidating, un-installing and reinstalling especially with my weapon of choice the most powerful mod utility in the world: JSGME! It keeps beckoning to me "Go ahead use me, make my day!" And have I ever! Just to illustrate a few examples of my crimes:

Silent Hunter 5: Base game size: 6GB with 62 Mods=10GB

Men of War AS2: Base game size: 8GB with 60 Mods=89GB

Il-2 BOX: 60 Mods=12GB of Mods

Company of Heroes 1: I have five different versions of COH: COH Battle of Crete, COH Europe at War, COH Blitzkrieg 1 and 2 and finally COH The Great War. I don't even know how many gigs theses use and I don't want to know.

I have many more games fully modded but I won't bore you with the details of those. This disease has taken over not only my mind but my game playing time as well. Now granted many of these items include user created missions and campaigns especially for DCS and IL2-Box but still...

So, after having my lastest PC rig for just over a year and thinking that a 2TB SSD would be big enough to accomodate my addiction I'm at this moment down to 275GB of remaining free space. So, now I have to go through the humiliating and painful process of deciding which mods and or games I'm not playing much and uninstalling to make room for more new games and more mods.

Coupled with the fact that I'm currently at the height of my addiction (I check the DCS user files and IL-2 Box Mods and Missions forums almost on a daily basis) that I'm afraid of becoming suicidal. I need help and support!

Oh and BTW, I've also become a Mod Pusher" to support my habit! I've got some really good Tank Missions I've culled from IL-2 Tank Crew from my supplier the Frenchman "Tigre 88." It's called "Tank Mission Pack 139" and its' 99.99% pure. The high you will get from it will blow your mind!

Sorry is doing business in mods illegal on this forum? Please don't turn me in! Have pity! Remember it's a disease! I can't control myself!

Pete Dero

Quote from: trek on November 26, 2020, 11:17:00 AM
Oh and BTW, I've also become a Mod Pusher" to support my habit! I've got some really good Tank Missions I've culled from IL-2 Tank Crew from my supplier the Frenchman "Tigre 88." It's called "Tank Mission Pack 139" and its' 99.99% pure. The high you will get from it will blow your mind!

Who has to sleep with the fishes before we can have access to that.

Do I need friends to enjoy the pure stuff ?   (is it single player ?)

-budd-

My name is trek and I'm a modaholic too. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm also a longtime repeat-offender of the worst kind. Mods have become like crack-cocaine for me. It's been going on awhile but has really intensified in the last couple years. This past march I probably spent a good two weeks going over all my mods and consolidating, un-installing and reinstalling especially with my weapon of choice the most powerful mod utility in the world: JSGME! It keeps beckoning to me "Go ahead use me, make my day!" And have I ever! Just to illustrate a few examples of my crimes:

Company of Heroes 1: I have five different versions of COH: COH Battle of Crete, COH Europe at War, COH Blitzkrieg 1 and 2 and finally COH The Great War. I don't even know how many gigs theses use and I don't want to know.

I have many more games fully modded but I won't bore you with the details of those. This disease has taken over not only my mind but my game playing time as well. Now granted many of these items include user created missions and campaigns especially for DCS and IL2-Box but still...

So, after having my lastest PC rig for just over a year and thinking that a 2TB SSD would be big enough to accomodate my addiction I'm at this moment down to 275GB of remaining free space. So, now I have to go through the humiliating and painful process of deciding which mods and or games I'm not playing much and uninstalling to make room for more new games and more mods.

Coupled with the fact that I'm currently at the height of my addiction (I check the DCS user files and IL-2 Box Mods and Missions forums almost on a daily basis) that I'm afraid of becoming suicidal. I need help and support!

Sorry is doing business in mods illegal on this forum? Please don't turn me in! Have pity! Remember it's a disease! I can't control myself!

You sir are a modaholic GOD, I'm just a grade school modder compared to you.......I too have suffered the humiliation of having to uninstall a heavily modded game, O the pain. The last thing I'll uninstall these days is a modded game. So many mods for the original Combat Mission games, and the new ones. OOOOO.....new weathered winter camo....gotta have it. Extra levels or skins for my shooters...yes please. There's a new thing I learned with 7 Days to Die........there's this thing called modlets.......wait a minute...what.....you can get them in collections also....YES, count me in.

Steam workshop is a godsend in this regard, easy, peasy to feed the addiction.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

trek

So, BUDD you just had to do it didn't ya! You had to bring up Combat Mission! Yes I have four CM games installed and all heavily modded! You know it's just not a good idea to remind an addict of his other crimes especially if he didn't bring them up in the first place! Have you no pity? Shame on you!

Queeg

I'm a modaholic.  To the point that I'm mildly pissed when they release a patch because it breaks my mods. 

-budd-

Quote from: trek on November 26, 2020, 12:29:08 PM
So, BUDD you just had to do it didn't ya! You had to bring up Combat Mission! Yes I have four CM games installed and all heavily modded! You know it's just not a good idea to remind an addict of his other crimes especially if he didn't bring them up in the first place! Have you no pity? Shame on you!

I did pause for a second, then realized I'm an enabler. Hey, I don't judge O0 (that guy has a problem, no hope for him)

Redwolf

My Assetto Corsa install has more than 900 cars and more than 200 racetracks. Plus all the usual weather, star system, wet, custom shader mods. Heaviest modding I did since CMx1.

Tanaka

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 26, 2020, 02:14:59 AM
I tend to go minimalist on most mods, unless they dramatically improve a game.  As soon as I start to run into technical problems, I just stop using it for a few months.  If I'm still playing the game a few months later, and I browse through the workshop and see the mod, I might click on it just to see if it's been updated.

For me, the trick to maximizing enjoyment of mods is to apply the 20/80 rule.  20% of the mods I might want to use will deliver 80% of the improved game play out there.  When I try to get 100% of the improved game play out there, I just find myself at the bottom of a perfectionist doom loop where I spend so much time trying to perfect the game that I don't get any time to play it!

Yep I think a big part of the problem for me is my OCD make the game perfect issues which prevents me from actually playing!

Tanaka

THIS LOL

W8taminute

Quote from: Queeg on November 26, 2020, 12:57:57 PM
I'm a modaholic.  To the point that I'm mildly pissed when they release a patch because it breaks my mods.

Same here.  Everytime there is an update to either American Truck Simulator or Eurotruck Simulator all my cool modded trucks get broken and my campaign gets messed up.  Mods ultimately caused me to stop playing two great games because of this. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tanaka

Quote from: W8taminute on November 26, 2020, 10:10:38 PM
Quote from: Queeg on November 26, 2020, 12:57:57 PM

Same here.  Everytime there is an update to either American Truck Simulator or Eurotruck Simulator all my cool modded trucks get broken and my campaign gets messed up.  Mods ultimately caused me to stop playing two great games because of this.

Exactly I use way too many mods for Paradox and Total War games and every update breaks them I then I don't play the game arghh...

Old TImer

Speaking of Combat Mission, where are all the mods?  Still waiting for an early war France 1940ish or World War 1 mod.

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on November 25, 2020, 04:29:39 PM
I used to always try to play the base game first, whatever it was. There are so many interesting titles now and so many more interesting mods that has become more and more difficult.

But still fun.
I'm the same.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

-budd-

Quote from: gregb41352 on December 03, 2020, 10:11:26 PM

Speaking of Combat Mission, where are all the mods?  Still waiting for an early war France 1940ish or World War 1 mod.

here's the links I use for CM mods and scenarios.
https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/
https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/

CM1 game mods/scenarios
http://cmx1mods.greenasjade.net/

Boggit

I always play CM modded where possible. I am a huge fan of Juju's interface mod, Veins effects etc.

I'd love to see Battlefront do a 1940 DLC or WW1 DLC, but if it ever happens outside a mod - which will be awesome if that happens - it will be as a new game in line with the business model used to date.

@Trek... IIRC Long Left Flank did - or at least was working on - a Pacific War mod for Combat Mission. I haven't played it but the screen shots looked pretty cool. IIRC, you'll find it from -Budd-'s links, which BTW are a brilliant source for CM Mods.

Another good source for mods for a lot of games are Moddb and The Blitz Wargaming club.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat