Main Menu

DWARF FORTRESS

Started by renobe, July 29, 2013, 12:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renobe

The game Dwarf Fortress is a free game that had a very good write-up in the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
I have been visiting the forums on other games for a long time at the Bay 12 website, but for some reason did not  ever visited the Dwarf Fortress part. The game site is http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
The forums at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/

Nefaro

I'm thankful there are user-friendly alternatives popping up these days.  The interface on Dwarf Fortress is such a pain, it made me run screaming every time.  Especially troublesome were the way different heights were displayed.  I applaud the people with the patience to fight with it, because they can definitely put up with some torture.

Ever since I picked up the Gnomoria beta, I've not looked back.  It's interface isn't great either but it's still a big improvement.  Hell, A Game of Dwarves is a lighter version and it's fun primarily because it has a proper UI and looks halfway decent.  Too bad that one wasn't expanded upon.

Yskonyn

Still, there are none which are as deep as DF.
With a proper tileset I think its pretty well playable. Too bad there hasnt been an update in ages now. Last year they were working on changing the graphics assignment in the engine, opening up much more spaces for tiles in theory. Never heard of again.. :(
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

renobe

The criticism of Dwarf Fortress sounds very much the same as what is directed at Aurora 4X Game. I have just downloaded the game an have not installed it yet.

PanzersEast

I've played quit a bit of DF.... it is a great game, however one you have to spend a lot of time with and the interface will fight you until you learn the shortcuts.  The game can become a grind on the later stage.  It is one I still play from time to time.

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: renobe on July 29, 2013, 02:35:11 PM
The criticism of Dwarf Fortress sounds very much the same as what is directed at Aurora 4X Game. I have just downloaded the game an have not installed it yet.

I could get into Aurora far easier than I could DF.  Probably only because I've been a Harpooner for a long time and it seems vaguely similar in both interface and mechanics.  I'd have an easier time learning to write Chinese than wrestle with DF, however.  ;D  You guys are gifted for being able to stick with it.

Sparhawk

I've played both DF and Aurora. I've never wanted to get into a game more than DF it captures my imagination probably more than any other I've come across. The interface totally kick's my butt, a sure game wrecker for me. I immersed myself in Aurora a few years back between jobs and quite enjoyed it. The UI is managable for a gamer usually unable to pry his mouse from his fingers. The only cumbersome game mechanic for me to the point of losing games was designing and implementing fire control.

Grim.Reaper

I see a new version of this releasing December 6th.  Has some graphics and tutorial this time.  Intrigued me in the past but never tried it, could be on the radar depending on cost.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/

SlagDog

Yeah, This is a instant buy for me. back in the day I loved the in-depth concepts of it but the UI drove me absolutely batty. And each time I would come back to the game I had to re-learn the UI all over again. I'm hoping that the UI is user-friendly and that there are quality of life fixes that make the game more enjoyable. I'm sort of surprised that there is not more hype around this release.

Jarhead0331

I never tried Dwarf Fortress, but I've heard it get compared to Aurora, which always made me feel tingly inside.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Yep, from what I read seemed like a lot of keyboard short cuts and such in the past....hoping some of that moved to the UI and mouse clicks to make it a little easier for my brain to remember:)  Seems to have a large cult following so certainly interested to give it a try unless some absurd cost right away.

Sigwolf

I believe it was released that the price will be $30.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Sigwolf on December 02, 2022, 12:40:27 PM
I believe it was released that the price will be $30.

Not horrible....but likely will monitor the first day to see if it has been made any easier.....although I don't really have anything to compare against:)

FarAway Sooner

I tried it back into the day, but struggled with some combination of the UI and opaque game mechanics.  I enjoy games with challenging game mechanics, but just never quite had the time/determination to grok DF.  I'm hopeful that the reviews on this one come back favorable, as I've always been intrigued by it.

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 02, 2022, 11:29:55 AM
I never tried Dwarf Fortress, but I've heard it get compared to Aurora, which always made me feel tingly inside.  :crazy2:

There's really no other city-builder sim like it.  It's hard to describe the breadth and depth of the game, but "Aurora-like" is a fair way to put it.  Whenever you generate a world, there's an absolute metric ass-load of history, culture, and locations created procedurally.  I would compare the world creation to Shadow Empire but in a medieval fantasy style setting.

One thing I find compelling is that each of your dwarves are individuals with names, histories, preferences, etc. who have families and produce more dwarves and so on.  The character aspect is a bit like Crusader Kings melded with X-Com (keeping in mind combat is basically automatic).  You can also make statues to memorialize your coolest or most accomplished dwarves, which I always found a really neat feature.

If you enjoy games like Dungeon Keeper or Rimworld, you'll feel right at home with DF once you hurdle the learning curve.  Just ignore the "adventure" mode, which is awesome in theory (a roguelike mode where you can wander the world you created as an individual character and even find your Dwarf settlement) but extremely unfinished in practice.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao