Golden Gaming Memories...

Started by Jarhead0331, July 13, 2019, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Hmmm... a million monkeys, a million IBM model M's, a million years....

No, not really.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

solops

Stars!
My all-time favorite space 4x. Liked it better than MOO 1/2.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Capn Darwin

Tunnels of Doom was the shiznit back in the day. IBM PC games didn't come close for years.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

FlickJax

2nd Cartridge I bought for my VIC 20

Gusington

Choplifter!!! *clutches pearls*

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Choplifter for the C-64 was classic, but Starflight was truly one of the greatest of all time. 

My own favorite, which has not aged very well but is still quaint:

But another favorite of mine, from years and years earlier:

Ryohei56

Here are a few of mine (slightly tongue-in-cheek).

The hexy one is Battlefield Germany, which I thought was brilliant. It had an option to escalate to a nuke fest, which saw every hex turn black and everybody died. Fun times.

Before that I played Ring of Darkness, on the Dragon 32 (that's 32 K, ffs). Blocky pixel figures fought on a 2D landscape, but you could visit a 3D wire frame dungeon and fight the villainous Gelatinous Cube! Stay my beating heart....

But before all that, there was Pong. 'Nuff said.

CJReich46

Compute! and Compute gazette. I remember when my dad would get those, and I would pore over them, and then spending hours typing in one of the games on our VIC-20, I even learned how to program my own games (more inspired by David Ahl's Basic Computer Games books)using random number generators. Not to mention reading the ads, on all the different games that were out. Ultima, Temple of Apshai, Telengard, Wizardry II (!) and even Wolfenstein! (neighbor had a 64 and we played it once)

There was one we had at School for an Apple II and it about traveling through time to catch the Adversary, it was called Odyssey Through Time and we had another one called World War which was like a Risk game. Plus there were the kids who had copies of Ultima III: Exodus and Ultima IV, Bard's Tale, Shadowkeep etc.

Then we got an Atari 520 ST and aside from the usual chess, reversi type games we had Brattacas and Silent Service.  Brattacas was a Sci-fi fantasy game where you were on this asteroid colony trying to find the evidence to clear your name, and the weapons were swords as beam weapons damaged the environment of the colony. You could open any door, go anywhere, just there was always a decision to be made and there was always a consequences. I later bought for it Beyond Zork.

We had an IBM clone much later (about when I joined the Navy) and I bought for it when I came home for leave - Ancient Art of War at Sea (I think I still have it) and later we had Ace of Aces (about the RAF Mosquito), Sim City, Test Drive II: The Duel, Jack Nicolaus Golf. and then I found for it - Full Metal Planet  (think Off World Colony) but more ruthless, you had units to attack your enemies with, and a map that changed. It had low and high tides, so your naval or land units could get easily stranded by a lowering or rising tide, plus you had to get your ores, and off that planet in 25 turns. It even had a customizable feature where you could design your own freight company logo too.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Sir Slash

I feel sorry for today's kids not to have such memories to hang onto.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

My childhood memories were more of the Estes rocket and Heathkit building kind (as well as a crapload of styrene, cement, and enamel paint pots). My HS had a few Apple 2s and we played 'Hunt the Wumpus' but computers really didn't happen for me until I got my Vic20 at about age 19.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Senex

Russia - The Great War in the East
On the Apple II  (128k of memory required).
One reviewer called it "an impressionistic view of the Eastern Front".
Still (in emulation) my favorite game on the subject.

One of the best AIs any computer game ever had.
(They had to patch the Easy level because it wasn't easy enough.)
The only chance element is right at the start of the game, when the order of the players is decided.
From the designers of Master of Magic.

Lowenstaat

"WE TRIUMPHED OVER VILLAINY!"

"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

FlickJax

I cant stay away from this thread :)  my fav arcade game on Spectrum and one of my favs ever.

DennisS

Quote from: solops on July 21, 2019, 12:52:58 PM
Stars!
My all-time favorite space 4x. Liked it better than MOO 1/2.

Take a look at Interstellar Space: Genesis   ...  This is a pretty good game that reminds me a LOT of MOO2, but better. Universe could be bigger, and it's a slow start, but I like it a lot. On Steam.

DennisS

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 23, 2019, 01:11:43 PM
Choplifter for the C-64 was classic, but Starflight was truly one of the greatest of all time. 

My own favorite, which has not aged very well but is still quaint:

But another favorite of mine, from years and years earlier:

I have MoM on my desktop now. Works well in DosBox. I still play this, and enjoy it. Definitely has that one-more-turn feel.