Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

HMAS AUstralia 1917.
This is interesting because it shows the extra armor plate on top of the turret.  These were put on after Jutland.
Also, the graph scale on the turret is to show other ships where the turret is aiming.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

This photo is very intriguing.  It was labeled as Kirishima, but think it far more likely to be Nagoto or Mutsu due to the funnel.
From the range, and angle of the searchlight beam, the illuminating ship would seem to be perhaps 2,000 yards apart.
My guess is this is from a night training exercise.  Naturally, people would love it to be one of the night engagements off Guadalcanal.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Airborne Rifles

Very cool photos bes!

mirth

QuoteUSS Zumwalt (DDG-1000) being overflown by the Blue Angels.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

Ike shows what she can do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3223965/USS-Eisenhower-makes-high-speed-turns-sea-practices-launching-fighter-jets-two-years-maintenance-yard.html#v-4466655885001

Poor old Mike Boorda was pretty cool  Never heard another captain tell the conning officer, "Drive her like you stole her."

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

QuoteHMS Victorious (R38) after her refit. Sea Vixen and Buccaneers can been seen on her flight deck

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

mirth

QuoteInside the hangar bay of USS Ronald Reagan

mirth

QuoteHMS Vanguard "vents off" as she leaves HMNB Clyde in Scotland

mirth

QuoteJune 15, 1953: Commonwealth carriers at Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation Review

mirth

QuoteMissile loading onto a Delta III

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Heerman and John C. Butler make smoke as they attack the Center Force off Samar.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Cranky old lady.
HMS Vanguard breaks it's lines and is drifting in the wind.  She was going to the breakers and had no crew.  If you enlarge the view you can see the wind effect on her starboard side, while on her port the surface is smooth.

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

Quote from: besilarius on September 12, 2015, 08:11:50 AM
Cranky old lady.
HMS Vanguard breaks it's lines and is drifting in the wind.  She was going to the breakers and had no crew.  If you enlarge the view you can see the wind effect on her starboard side, while on her port the surface is smooth.

??? There seems to be a lot of spray on the port side, unless her funnel is backwards or something.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys