Share your Screenshots!

Started by TheCommandTent, April 02, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

"In Soviet Army, road no kill you, you road kill".  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

Time for an ACW 2 update. December brings snow to Virginia, lots of it. And more Yankees marching down The Valley. The latest victim/opponent is Samuel Heintzelman, a nice guy with a very difficult name to spell. He comes down to Strasburg to see what's there, and what's there is J.E. Johnson's entire army fully recovered now and hungry for a fight. Opps! Sorry Sam, you should've sent some Cav down first to scout.  #:-)

Meanwhile over at Manassas, Gen. Banks decides to have another go at Beauregard. And with a healthy 10,000 man advantage, he might be able to pull this off. I want to send Beauregard help but from the Potomac to Savannah I've only got one unit not locked in place, a Brigade just finished forming-up at Richmond.

The term, 'brigade' is misleading here. This game has a big choice of types and sizes of units to build. This Virginia brigade is huge, 2 Line Regiments, 2 Conscript Regiments, a Cav. Regiment, and a 6lb. arty battery- total Combat Strength about 200. Beauregard's whole force, 2 Div. and 2 Brigades, is only about 700 strength. It'll take 5 days to send them to Manassas by rail.

So it's Johnson on offense in The Valley and Beauregard stays on defense at Manassas. I hit, 'End Turn' and cross my fingers.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

Over in The Valley, Sam Heintzelman takes one look at Johnson's force and scampers back up to Winchester as fast as horse will take him. A smart move.

At Manassas, Banks attacks before my reinforcements from Richmond can get there. The Second Battle of Manassas is a repeat of The First Battle of Manassas right down to Banks using the same, 'Balanced Deployment' stance and we countering with the same, 'High Reserve' stance. So the results are the same too-- another Union defeat. This makes Beauregard 5 outta 5 in a row over the Army of Northern Aggression.   :o  This guy's overdue for a promotion which he will be receiving shortly.  :notworthy:

Sir Slash

1861 Comes to a close-- a year of Valor and Victory for the infant Southern Republic. Here you can see how we are doing.

We have taken almost 25,000 casualties but the North has suffered far more, 43,601 including 5800 POW's. We have earned a very nice 355 Victory Point advantage over the Union and have a 28 point advantage in the all important National Morale. But the real significant number here is in the bottom right, 'Ratio' box.

If you're unfamiliar to AGEOD games, this is their way of showing the relative strength differences in the opponents. The formula is, Northern Land Strength/Naval Strength vs Southern strength IF our strength was a value of 100. In other words, if all our Naval Strength was, '100', then the North would out number us 460 to 100 or, 4.6 to 1, not surprising at sea.

The really surprising number here is the Land Strengths. The North has a still significant 146 to 100 advantage ( 1.4 to 1) but this number routinely hovers between 2 to 2.5 to 1 throughout this game at the beginning, and only gets worse as the North gets stronger.

The Northern losses have been so heavy they now risk our catching-up to them in numbers which would be a major blow to their war effort. That's why the numbers are highlighted in red. This is becoming critical for them. Their National Morale is dropping and ours is rising. We are winning this war right now.  :bd:

Does this mean the North is running out of men? Hardly. The big Northern cities are Manpower Machines that can turn-out huge numbers of troops quickly. And with any decent weather about 4 months off, they've got plenty of time to recover. But it does mean they cannot continue to lose men at this rate or risk having to fight us at even numbers which would make it MUCH harder for them.

If we can keep these numbers even close to parity when spring comes, and with our armies formed into efficient Corps, and Bobbie Lee in command.... then it maybe time to take this war up North.

Sir Slash

The, 'Ratio' box I mentioned should've been, 'Combat Power' (Cbt. Pwr.) instead. Sorry.  :-[

MOS:96B2P

Sir Slash

Thank you Mos. I gotta take a break from this game for a while to grow some more brain cells to try to figure out what to do next.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 20, 2020, 11:15:56 PM
Thank you Mos. I gotta take a break from this game for a while to grow some more brain cells to try to figure out what to do next.

Interesting how your AAR seems to mirror what really happened in that the superior Southern leadership led to victories early in the war, but what will happen when attrition sets in and the south finds it harder and harder to replace fallen soldiers and lost supplies/equipment. Not saying the south can't win under the over all leadership of President Sir Slash....but it will be fun to watch what happens.

Sir Slash

You are right Rayfer. The North's Economic, Manpower, and Military strength will only grow as the war goes on. I know because I played the campaign as the North before. What they need is better leadership- Grant, Sherman, and Thomas are in the game but not in command yet still being very junior in ranking, and they need more experienced troops. That is coming fast as in 1862 Mc Clellan takes command and he's a, 'Training Officer' who upgrades troops under his command in experience every turn.

By 1863 the South will already be losing ground to the North in every category and by '64 it'll be too much to overcome. That's why the coming spring will be the best time, and maybe last time, for the South to go on offense.

Combat Mission Red Thunder.  Leading from the front.

W8taminute

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on February 21, 2020, 03:03:51 PM

Singlehandidly takes out two tanks with a pistol.  Epic!
Realizes they were on his own team.  Fail!

Added a caption to that excellent screenshot.  See above.   ;D
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Quote from: W8taminute on February 21, 2020, 04:26:47 PM
Quote from: MOS:96B2P on February 21, 2020, 03:03:51 PM

Singlehandidly takes out two tanks with a pistol.  Epic!
Realizes they were on his own team.  Fail!

Added a caption to that excellent screenshot.  See above.   ;D

Nice!!!   ;D :)

Sir Slash

A great pic Mos. You gotta love a guy who goes into battle armed with nothing but a pistol and his medals.  O0

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 21, 2020, 10:47:40 PM
A great pic Mos. You gotta love a guy who goes into battle armed with nothing but a pistol and his medals.  O0

Enquiring minds want to know...did he survive the battle?

Quote from: Rayfer on February 22, 2020, 07:48:20 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 21, 2020, 10:47:40 PM

Enquiring minds want to know...did he survive the battle?

The, about to be overrun, German Battle Position (BP) put out a call for help.  The Alarm Unit responded. 

Resulting in the heroic officer becoming a casualty (probably got another medal).