What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

bayonetbrant

still doesn't get him to Origins
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Rekim

Spring break sprang for me today. The perfect excuse to break out something meaty. Decided to dive into the Steel Wolves grand campaign.

This is the view at the end of September '39 (turn 4). Most of the uboat fleet deployed in the first weeks and are back in their pens in Germany working up for future patrols. I had a mediocre first month scoring just 6 points compared to the historical 9 points. My results were 35 ships sunk for a total 150,000 tons, with 2 subs lost...both type VIIs  :tickedoff:

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

I played Black Orchestra at the FLGS last night.  It's a co-op game that has the players take on the roles of various German plotters in an attempt to assassinate Hitler.  The gameplay is fairly light and somewhat reminiscent of Pandemic and Elder Signs but there's a great deal of historical flavour built into the game.  I had a great time geeking out on all the little historical details built into the game and it's a testament to good design that the game is perfectly playable to those without any real knowledge of WWII, Nazi hierarchy, or Operation Valkyrie.

I played as Hans Oster, 2nd in command of the Abwehr and an anti-Nazi resistor.  I acted early and tried to take out Hitler in 1939 by conspiring to plant a bomb on his plane from Berlin to Nuremberg.  The Gestapo discovered my plot and had me arrested and interrogated.  They couldn't pin anything on me but they were highly suspicious of me for the rest of the game and I was in and out of prison several times.

In the end, the Gestapo had rounded up and imprisoned three of us and were highly suspicious of the forth player as well.  Fortunately, she was able to concoct a plot to poison Hitler's food at the Berlin train station as he returned from Munich in 1943 and we won just as the Gestapo was zeroing in on her.

Neat little game.  It's a bit too light for me to consider picking up but I'd definitely  give it another go using the store's copy.  Love the look of the game board and the artwork on the event and plot cards but I thought the character art was a little too cartoonish for my tastes.

Barthheart

Quote from: Rekim on March 29, 2017, 09:07:43 AM
Spring break sprang for me today. The perfect excuse to break out something meaty. Decided to dive into the Steel Wolves grand campaign.

This is the view at the end of September '39 (turn 4). Most of the uboat fleet deployed in the first weeks and are back in their pens in Germany working up for future patrols. I had a mediocre first month scoring just 6 points compared to the historical 9 points. My results were 35 ships sunk for a total 150,000 tons, with 2 subs lost...both type VIIs  :tickedoff:

Man that looks good. I need to track me down a copy....

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Barthheart on March 29, 2017, 09:10:05 PM
Quote from: Rekim on March 29, 2017, 09:07:43 AM

Man that looks good. I need to track me down a copy....

Excellent game!!!!   Pricey...but worth the investment. 

One thought, a friend of mine uses the Vassal module to use the automated random chit "cups."  The game has quite of bit of random chit / cup management.  According to him, the vassal module running "in-parallel" with the physical game really helps with the logistics.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bob48

Non of those screen shots show up for me  :(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

They're gone fer me too now...  ???

Rekim

Damn. No idea why the images disappeared. I re-shared them, so hopefully fixed now.

Crossroads

Quote from: Rekim on April 01, 2017, 09:41:20 AM
Damn. No idea why the images disappeared. I re-shared them, so hopefully fixed now.

Yes, I see them now, thanks!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Wow, that's a busy table you've got there! I see now what you meant by having the VASSAL module available for assistance  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY