Frosthaven/Gloomhaven

Started by airboy, April 26, 2020, 02:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I sprang for the Frosthaven kickstarter level that included all of the Gloomhaven stuff at the recommendation of my wife.  It is pricy, but Gloomhaven is very popular and a cooperative game.  You get all of the Gloomhaven stuff inexpensively and the unknown Frosthaven.

Martok

I've been tempted, but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.  Looks awesome, though. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

Quote from: Martok on April 27, 2020, 08:51:54 PM
I've been tempted, but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.  Looks awesome, though.

Totally understand. 

Me: "This is awfully expensive.  Has good ratings on Board Game Geek and is a cooperative game - but it is expensive."
Wife: "Is this a significant part of our savings?  Why did you kill yourself doing three jobs concurrently for 30 years?  Why exactly did you retire?"
Me: "Uh?"
Wife: "You should buy it."
Me: "Ok!"
Wife: "Now, you need to try one of my new cocktails."
Me: "Yes mam!"

That is pretty much how the conversation went.

jamus34

Good for you AB!

I am not at that place (and also not nearly as motivated as you were with working, at least in my later years)

I've been intrigued with Gloomhaven for years but I'm at a place that I do not have a regular gaming group and everything I've heard about GH is it does better as a group than solo.

Maybe someday.
Insert witty comment here.

Martok

Quote from: jamus34 on April 28, 2020, 07:12:38 AM
I've been intrigued with Gloomhaven for years but I'm at a place that I do not have a regular gaming group and everything I've heard about GH is it does better as a group than solo.

Maybe someday.
Honestly, this is the biggest reason for me as well (that I've held off).  Cost is certainly a consideration as well, but I'd probably consider it worth paying if I had a regular group of folks to play it with. 

Great conversation, airboy.  I like your wife even more now (and you've always spoken well of her).  O0 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

The Kickstarter ended and they raised $12.8 million dollars.  This is the most raised by any boardgame and the 3rd largest Kickstarter ever.

airboy

My copy of Gloomhaven arrived this morning.  That is a heavy beast.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on July 31, 2020, 09:24:58 AM
My copy of Gloomhaven arrived this morning.  That is a heavy beast.

Just wait until you organize it.

I recommend the Plano method someone posted on BGG.  It specifies which models of Plano to get (three and one a bit smaller).  I printed off the placement sheets to mount on the inside lid of the Plano boxes so I know in which slot everything is located.  Tight fit in the box, but it all certainly fit.  \m/

All I gotta do is pull those out and play directly from them regarding tokens and such.

airboy

Thanks!  We did this for Mansions of Madness and it sped up set-up; put back time immensely.