IOC bans Russia from 2018 Winter Olympics

Started by Barthheart, December 06, 2017, 11:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

QuoteThe International Olympic Committee has banned Russia from competing at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, following a vote on Tuesday.

However, it allows for individual Russian athletes "under strict conditions" to compete as an "Olympic Athlete from Russia [OAR]" without their national flag or anthem, according to a release from the IOC.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/ioc-russia-doping-1.4432781

:o

bayonetbrant

Yep, no Russian hockey team.  I'm sure Ovechkin is pissed
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 06, 2017, 11:16:52 AM

He wasn't going to be there anyway. Nobody from the NHL will be.

As much as I respect the IOC for actually doing this, South Korea has got to be PISSED. They're already having issues selling tickets thanks to North Korean saber rattling. Then no pro hockey player participation. Now no Russia. Yikes.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 06, 2017, 11:56:08 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 06, 2017, 11:16:52 AM

He wasn't going to be there anyway. Nobody from the NHL will be.

Ovi has said repeatedly that he'd take the fines/penalties from the NHL, but he was going to play for the Russians either way
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers