The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: Shelldrake on January 13, 2013, 02:17:51 PM
I picked up Distant Worlds Legends and Commander The Great War, which wasn't on sale but I used my $20 beta tester coupon. :)
I'm trying to think of a cleverly acerbic reply to that, but since I'm currently coming up blank, I'm just going to go with "bite me".  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

steve58

I didn't pick up anything from Matrix either this sale...pretty much have everything I want from them or the sales prices were still a tad too high for me to bite.  I might have picked up Distant Worlds - Legends and Return of the Shakturi if the prices were in the $10 range.  Got too many other games, so I can wait...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Toonces

Man, I just can't decide if there's anything I have to have.

I'm eyeballing Field of Glory with Storm of Arrows and Empires in Arms.  But am I really going to play them?  Do I really need them, or do I have games that already cover these periods better?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

Quote from: Toonces on January 13, 2013, 10:29:13 PM
Man, I just can't decide if there's anything I have to have.

I'm eyeballing Field of Glory with Storm of Arrows and Empires in Arms.  But am I really going to play them?  Do I really need them, or do I have games that already cover these periods better?

You will for about 10-15 minutes and then move onto something else for 10-15 minutes.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Martok on January 13, 2013, 02:56:20 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 13, 2013, 02:17:51 PM
I picked up Distant Worlds Legends and Commander The Great War, which wasn't on sale but I used my $20 beta tester coupon. :)
I'm trying to think of a cleverly acerbic reply to that, but since I'm currently coming up blank, I'm just going to go with "bite me".  :P

LOL
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

steve58

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare on sale at Greenmangaming for $12.49 until Jan.18th 4pm GMT.  Use 20% off code GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK to knock it down to $10.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

(omg omg omg...) 

GamersGate has a couple noteworthy deals going on right now: 

Both versions of Endless Space (the Admiral Edition and Emperor Special Edition) are half-off this weekend

What's really got me excited, though, is that they're selling Dominions 3...for $29.95!  At that price, I might finally have to bite. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on January 17, 2013, 02:54:52 PM

What's really got me excited, though, is that they're selling Dominions 3...for $29.95!  At that price, I might finally have to bite.

Hey Martok.   Have you ever bought something through Desura?  Dom3 has been that price, there, for a month or so.  (Did I tell you that already?)

It's a pretty good service, that I've seen.  What's real nice is that you not only have the option to run their Steam-like client but you can also download the actual installer exes for you games and aren't forced to use the client at all;  both options available.  They also host some interesting indies, too, if you dig around.

Martok

Doh!  I'd forgotten Desura was already selling Dominions 3 for the same price (yes, you'd mentioned it).  :-[ 

I had heard of Desura before, but only because of StarDrive.  I've not yet purchased anything through the platform myself, although I've heard generally good things about it.  (They take frickin' forever to put up new patches/updates, however.) 

Shelldrake

Endless Space is a game that I have wanted to check out for some time now. Do y'all recommend the Admiral or Emperor edition?
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

steve58

Quote from: Shelldrake on January 18, 2013, 01:16:37 PM
Endless Space is a game that I have wanted to check out for some time now. Do y'all recommend the Admiral or Emperor edition?
Not really much difference between the two.  With the Emperor Edition you also get a United Empire "Emperor's Guard Extra Skin" Pack and a unique "Endless" Hero (a unique and mysterious hero, direct descendant of the Endless civilization).  Not sure I've used either yet in any of the games I've played...

p.s.  while the soundtrack is listed for the Admirals edition and not the Emperor, I bought the Emperor edition and do have the soundtrack.

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on January 18, 2013, 01:11:29 PM
Doh!  I'd forgotten Desura was already selling Dominions 3 for the same price (yes, you'd mentioned it).  :-[ 

I had heard of Desura before, but only because of StarDrive.  I've not yet purchased anything through the platform myself, although I've heard generally good things about it.  (They take frickin' forever to put up new patches/updates, however.)

The patch frequency depends on the game & developer.  All the indie beta buy-ins that I have there are updated very often.  Of course, some developers have their titles elsewhere, too, and it isn't highest on their list.  From what I gather, Ilwinter is using the game's Desura forum as their regular haunt and it's their primary distributor at the moment.  There are also a lot of Steam Greenlight candidates that have already been there for awhile, and the devs generally frequent their title's comments section.  I've been happy with it lately, and the one time I contacted their customer service, the issue was resolved by a person actually taking action the first time I sent it instead of repeated copy & paste replies from the impersonal Steam Stazi.

LongBlade

Magicka is play-for-free this weekend and is 75% off on Monday.

If you haven't played Magicka you should check it out. The heart of the game is the magic system. There are a number of types of magic: earth, fire, water, defensive, and arcane (maybe more, I'm working from memory).

You have five power slots. So you can put in four fire and one earth to create a fireball. But some magics cancel out (water and fire). With this you can experiment with a bunch of combos for different, more powerful spell.

And when the action gets frantic, sometimes you just hit a bunch of keys and something cool happens that takes a while to figure out.

It's definitely worth checking out for free.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Also, magic can backfire on you in hilarious fashion. For example, try casting electrical spells in the rain...

And while bringing down a rain of meteors will make you feel like a bad ass, they can crush you in to a puddle of glop just as effectively as they mash bad guys.

Co-op is even more fun. You think friendly fire is an issue in Left 4 Dead? Try this.  ;D

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 19, 2013, 12:22:24 AM
Also, magic can backfire on you in hilarious fashion. For example, try casting electrical spells in the rain...

And while bringing down a rain of meteors will make you feel like a bad ass, they can crush you in to a puddle of glop just as effectively as they mash bad guys.

Co-op is even more fun. You think friendly fire is an issue in Left 4 Dead? Try this.  ;D

I may have to load that sucker back up just to check out multi-player, which is supposed to be perky titz.  Although I always had to run the damn thing in a window due to the FPS issue that so many of us had (and the devs evidentally couldn't figure out how to fix  :-\ ).